Copper Johns Dead Nuts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

The Copper Johns dead nuts 3 or 5 pin sight is an all metal housing, with very bright fiber optics.
The .29 pin size, gives a good point of target, but gets a little large for long distance shooting.
The .19 pin size, are a little hard to see in low light conditions, however on long shots
It gives you a better point of impact location.

Any shooting from 40 yards and closer the .29 will work flawlessly.
Beyond 40 yards and you are shooting at an area rather then a point.

The all metal construction makes it a very durable sight to use on a hunting rig.
All metal pins, with metal set screws, help insure you don?t strip out the threads when sighting in.

The orange ring around the sight housing works well, with a proper sized peep to insure that you have centered your pin location each and every time. Improper peep size and you will have issues with the orange ring being distracting to your eye.

An option for low light conditions is the blue colored after burner light, which attaches in seconds to a threaded hole in the sight housing. The blue light does not distract when used, and causes the pins to really glow.
Be sure to check your local regulations before spending the 15-20 dollars for the after burner light. Many states do not allow artificial light sources to be use to help light the pins.

Installation of the Copper Johns Dead Nuts, is quick and easy, with 2 allen screws that attach to the bows riser. Another allen screw adjusts the horizontal, with a 2nd that adjust the vertical.
I was able to install and have my CJDN sighted in for the basic yardage with in 15 mins.
Another 30 mins and the 30/40/50/60 were all sighted in.

The single largest issue was changing out my peep to have the proper sized opening to center the housing into the peep. There is not a standard size that you will need, as distance from your eye will mandate the size of the peep to use.

Once sighted in, I have not had issues with parts working themselves loose or needing to retighten, and this sight has gone through thousands of shots with my Mathews lx bow.

Options with this sight is a 3 pin , 5 pin, color black or mossy oak camo.
Replacement pins are offered at a cost of about 19.00 for 3 pins,
After burner light cost of 20.00
And now offered is a C.U.P protective flip cap that mounts on the back of the housing and protects the pins when the bow is not in use for around 25.00.

Cost of the Sight, runs from 45-95 dollars, depending on number of pins and color choices.

For the money the Copper Johns Dead Nuts is one of the best on market for a hunting sight.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:42 PM

I second that Bruce! I got a 5 pin CJ last year and have been shooting it ever since. I can't think of a single negative thing about the CJ sight. I've been thinking about investing in the light that you can attach on the top of it also. In Texas where I hunt it's legal to hog hunt and varmint hunt at night, so that would give you a little extra time to hunt and something fun to try also.
BrandonT

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:46 PM

My wife and I both have the 5-pin (.029") Dead Nuts and are very happy with them. I had some problems with the fiber optic thread coming loose from the pins when I first got mine. I called Copper Johns and they shipped out a whole new set at no charge. After replacing the problem pins I haven't had a problem since.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:04 AM

It's a good product and I use one on my NEW Mathews Switchback. BUT

IMHO :rolleyes: I think they need increment lines with numbers on vertical and the horizontal adjustment to improve their quality. It's difficult to make any fine tuning with out them. Their competition has the marks and it does make it easier.

I also trashed one after about a year wrenching the hex screws adjustment for the horizontal bar. It stripped out at the bottom and came apart at a very inopportune time.

Lucky for me I had another sight on the shelf but it wasn't a dead nut. The trophy ridge matrix is back on and I'm guessing it will stay.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users