14 replies to this topic

#1 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

I recieved this artical, Is Shooting a Locked Buck Ethical? Separtating locked Bucks, one alive or both is a risky proposition.

http://fieldandstrea...m/whitetail365/

I can't lie, I would...
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

You know Monk I just don't know what I would have done. :hmm: :unsure:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

If anyone can pull up an old story from the Des Moines Sunday Registar dated around 1983 or 85 somewhere in there it is a story about my cousin who had cancer and his prayer before he died was to be able to shoot a trophy with his bow. Rick Stangl is his name and he lived in Carroll Iowa. His prayer was fullfilled but with 2 trophys locked. One was a 5x4 and the other a 5x5. The 5x4 actually broke the others neck and would have died if Rick hadn't come by and watched the whole fight. He got permission from the DNR and about a couple of months after that he died from his cancer. He was only 21. My wife's brother had them mounted for him and is now in posession of them so I get to look at them all the time. GOD does answer prayer.

Steve

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

Versus not shooting them and allowing them to suffer a long painful death???

I wonder if the question should be, "Is not shooting locked up bucks ethical?"

Seriously, there are serious points on both sides, this is not a cut and dry thing. It absolutely depends on what you see and how you answer these questions.

• Do both animals look healthy?
  • Is one dead already?
  • Does the possibility really exist that they can actually separate on their own?
  • Is it feasible for YOU to SAFELY separate them while they are alive?

My point is there may be situations where shooting one or both is absolutely the right thing to do and also situations where leaving them alone or helping them is absolutely the right thing to do. There is no absolute answer as to whenever you see two bucks locked together in a fight that you should or shouldn't do anything. Whatever decision you make, rest assured someone who wasn't even there is going to accuse you of doing the wrong thing.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

If you are a good shot you shoot an antler off the dead buck thereby unlocking them. Then when the one still alive jumps up wack him too. Shooting the locked buck can be the only ethical answer. Back in the 50's before does and bucks could be hunted together and on the first day of buck season I left a doe with her lower jaw shot off go and have regretted it to this day.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:56 PM

"a buck thatís hopelessly entangled with a rival." With some thought and a quick prayer I think the answer to this is simple - YES AND FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS Monk. Hopefully the rival would make it for another season once released from the entangled dead buck. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Tenn. Ridgerunner

Tenn. Ridgerunner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

Yes it is,
We as hunters are supposed to be managers of the wildlife, and letting two animals suffer and possiably be eaten alive by preditors is not my thing, In my line of work I kill animals that are sick wonded or just causing a danger to the public by being where they are. If I found a deer locked up and they could not seperate themselves, I would have no problem killing one of them or both if after killing one I could not seperate the other without injury to the animal or more important to myself. :yes: :yes:
There is nothing more enjoyable than the sound of the woods waking up in the morning.

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

Small world, I have close friends in Carroll IA and have been there several times. Also Jefferson IA. They are Randy Weaver's close relatives.

Oh, I would shoot the buck after some deliberation.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#9 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:07 AM

I'd jump up and down yelling " This is indeed, my Lucky Day! " and drop both of them quicker than a hot skillet.

Edited by Larry $, 21 December 2007 - 08:37 AM.

#10 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

The definition of Conservation, is the wise use of natural resourses. Separating locked Bucks successfully and avoiding personal injury doesn't guarantee the bucks' survival after such a stressful event. Rationalizing? Feeling guilty, taking advantage of a situation? Maybe a little, maybe even feel a little cheated of the chase??? But as better said, " This is indeed, my Lucky Day! "
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#11 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

I would take the shot,most die from the stress of the drawn out fight!!!
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#12 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

Ditto

#13 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:15 PM

I wouldn't think twice about shooting a locked buck...

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#14 young_hunter12

young_hunter12

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

i would try it hi woody

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

Lets seeeee? Shoot them and save them from a slow death, enjoy some fresh venison, and maybe a couple nice racks to boot, versus letting them suffer and die and basicaly go to waste as well. To me it's a no brainer, I'm eating back straps for dinner! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users