#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

I don't see why you couldn't eat them all year long, my dad is always reluctant to eating them because he is afraid of chemicals that may be on grass or plants that they eat, but I would eat them all year.
-Eric

#3 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

eric...we around here don't eat rabbits until a long cold spell because of a parisite that lives mostly in the neck...there call wolves or somthing like that....yes they are tasty critters and i could eat them year round...just try to harvest enough to last thru the off season....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

Like Tom said, they get a worm that bores under the skin on their necks and is the cause of Tularemia ( Rabbit Fever) It's not recomended to eat them untill after a good hard frost and the weather turns cold.

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:11 AM

40 plus years ago my Dad taught me to never shoot rabbits until there was snow on the ground. He said that by then, the sick ones were already killed off by the cold. I like rabbit meat, but to this day I won't shoot or eat one until the snow lays a couple inches thick on the ground at least.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:52 AM

Yep,
i've got a pen full of tame rabbits ..We raise em and every fall just after a cold spell
i fill the freezer full.. , OH WAITA MINUTE you meant wild rabbits..the only wild rabbits we see around here is 3 or 4 in the front yard each night as i'm driving in from work.. wish we had more but the varmits seem to thin them out .

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#7 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

My grandmother always told me never to shoot one when the month doesn't have an "R" in it. So basicaly the summer months when it's hot. I've eaten them all year around though in every month and have yet to get sick from it. They do have parasites on them, so the best bet is to wait until after a hard freeze as said above. :) Good luck and happy hunting!
BrandonT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users