• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

Dec 26th marks the opening of PA's late muzzleloader season where the flintlock is king. Infact that is all we are allowed to use. This year is the first year we are permitted to use a peep type sight. No scopes allowed though. Jgabel was here this morning to borrow my right handed flinter to hunt. We had fun flinging some roundballs downrange till we got it on. I shot mine several times this week between rain, snow and wind. I should be ready for a good shot at a buck or doe.
Since it is so late in the year the buck tag becomes an either sex tag anywhere in the state. Man I could shoot three deer yet even after shooting one in Oct.
The deer are hard to hunt this time of the year though. They have been pursued from October till now and are really wild. They are also bunching up and when you see one there most likely will be more.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

Hey Paul Good luck to you and Eric. I'll be out too. What do you guys look for when hunting the late season? I dont have alot of luck in late season as I do in early season.

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

Good Luck!
-Eric

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:05 AM

Scott I agree that the deer are tough to find this time of year. Eric and I have had a bit of luck here in the mountains and valley areas we hunt by gently pushing out the lower base of the mountain woodlots. That is not to say that we have never found anything on the sidehills.
I have a favorite walk that has produced deer that is on the top of the ridge behind my house. The side I like to walk has what I call hogbacks and hollows between them and I have found deer bedded in those hollows.
Most times it is a lot of walking and looking and when the deer are sighted look real hard as there most likely will be a herd of them.
I try to remember where mast was best in the fall as this can be a source of food about now.
I also try to get out early and watch the trails between feeding and bedding areas. Depending on the weather and temps I try to stay on these spots till 9:00 or even 10:00 as this time of year the deer tend to feed longer into the morning than they do earlier.

#5 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

best of luck to you folks in pa on your late season....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

A few days have passed and I have seen only 1 deer and it was, to quote my dad, in whistle gear. Eric and I are getting ready to go out tomorrow morning providing it is not pouring down rain. Man it is hard to keep your powder dry in a rain.

#7 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

Yea I posted in our camp forum that I have a friend "Terry" and we only usually see each other around flintlock season. We go to a state game lands area that we hunted a long time ago and we still like it there. Tomorrow will also be our first day out so wish us luck.

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Good luck Harry!!!!

This year sure is one of those weird years as I don't get to carry a gun around home (don't have a tag :yahoo: )
BUT I can go out and chase for PA so I will have lots of fun walking and not getting tired from the weight of a gun.
:D :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

Harry good luck. Me thinks that Eric is rubbing our noses in his great season. That is ok as I taught him everything he knows.

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Me thinks that Eric is rubbing our noses in his great season. That is ok as I taught him everything he knows.

:yes: :no: :yes: :no: On the first part. :lol:

You have taught me most BUT not everything. :notalk: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:35 PM

Good luck all of you in the late season. Be careful out there and make them flintlocks smoke...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:00 PM

Had a fair day today. First it didn't rain and second we know a whole bunch of places they aren't. We hit the shoe leather all day. Eric was driving for me and saw more deer than I did. We did discover that there is much more sign way high on the mountainside. Down low it is almost devoid of sign, recent sign anyway. This surprises me a little as our mountainsides have been covered in ice for a couple of weeks now and I thought surely the deer would be down low.

Eric saw several rubs that were very recently made/refreshed with shavings on top of the ice. The size of the trees that were rubbed were quite large. I may try that area Monday morning and sit tight.

#13 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:25 AM

Terry and I saw 11 deer but couldn't get a shot. It was really tough getting close in that crunchy ice stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users