2 replies to this topic

#1 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

I've still got a few weeks before my turkey hunts but I've been up to my normal spring time activities and have been getting out to several spots to setup, call, and maybe take a picture or two. I went down to the Minnesota River Valley this morning which is pretty flooded but along the bluffs there is some country where the turkeys have been hanging out. I worked till Midnight and then got up at 4:40am, got the camo on, and me and the dog drove out to a spot I'd seen one gobbling on the roost the other day. There hadn't been any hunters in there so I wasn't too worried about messin with someone's hunt. Got to the parking lot and nobody around. We walked down towards the river and sat and listened. They usually start in around 5:15am and this morning wasn't any different. At least 3 gobblers around the corner in the river sounded off while multiples groups rattled off gobble after gobble from across the river. I moved closer to the group of 3+ as they were very close. I called softly and they all sounded off. I figured they were probably roosted with hens but maybe I could get one to break off. I moved back along the hillside away from them and sat down. I started mimicking the real excited hens that I've heard fly down in the past where they cluck once and then yelp real raspy. I mixed it up with some clucks/purrs and then shut up. The gobbling continued and they were putting on a show. The whole valley seemed alive with gobbling and the geese and ducks were sounding off as well. What a morning. A little later a gobbler did break from the group and he was coming along the hillside. He caught me off guard standing there and gobbled just over the hill very close. He took off straight away and found the closest oak to sit down against. I covered the dog in a camo coat I'd brought in my vest and waited. I was facing down the hill with the bird coming from my left. I figured he'd come around the hill so he'd end up in front of me. Wrong. I could hear him walking as he crested the hill and out of the corner of my eye I could see a black form. Well, Wiley didn't like what he saw and moved his head and started growling. The next thing I heard was a pair of turkey feet beating it out of there. Never did see the bird but he was right there about 15 yards from me. Next time I'm leaving the dog at home!! So we went and checked it out down the river as I'm scouting this area for a friend who is hunting turkeys for the first time and didn't want to hunt down where I hunt so I suggested someplace close. I went back to the truck about 7:30am and there were 3 hunters in the parking lot. They asked if I'd seen or heard anything and I said "Just one" and he was about as close as I ever let them get. :D I felt like saying "If you get out in the woods before first light then you'd have heard all of the gobbling!!" Granted, I've killed turkeys at noon and 3pm but still love that sunrise. Anyway, the pheasants were cackling in the crp as we got to the truck so I took Wiley to the north a few miles and we went for a walk. He kicked up a roosted turkey on a hillside, two roosters in the crp, and then another hen turkey on the edge of the woods on the way out. We've been into either turkeys or pheasants every day for the past few weeks and it's been fun. Can't wait to take the gun out...

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

B) Sounds like lots of fun there Tim. B) :thumbsup: Hope you kill one.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

Sounds like a good way to spend a day. :yes:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users