• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

The recent posts about range finders has me thinking about getting one. I have some questions. Do the models that range out to 500 yds or more work very well at short 10 - 40 yds. How well do the long range models work on small targets such as groundhogs. Do you really need the up or downhill calculating features. Do any of the other touted features provide much benefit or not.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

Cuz, I use a bushnell scout range finder. It works very well for me. It will range from 10 yards to 500 yards. I have also been looking into the Bushnell Quest, it is a range finder and binoc all in one. I really like the looks of this. To me it makes sense to have a all in one handy for that quick look see and range at the same time. But then again that is my 2 cents worth.

Paturbo

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:32 AM

Thanks Cuz now I have a bit more to investigate.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

when I first heard that balistically challenged commercial for the new rangefinders...I felt like my cabelas brand range finder was taken from the short bus. But I like mine. If im on a hill, I'll range a tree at my height to the the real range to target so I dont have to do geometry in my head.

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

My Cabelas 1200 is very very accurate from 5' to 800 yards if the target is reflective. Trying to range a deer at 800 is fruitless, it aint gonna happen unless his big white rear is facing you. I dont have the trig feature so if I shoot up or down I just figure it in my head if I have time. A Swaro 1500 might work better but I'm not giving anyone 2500.00 for anything that dont say Weatherby.

After having the rangefinder and the GPS I bought on Charles' recommendation and the radios I got to sort of have another emergeny device in case my cell fone fails, I find that tho all toys are very nice and work extremely well I dont have a lot of interest in them. Leaving them out of my backpack and just wearing my compass around my neck as I have always done seems somehow to be so much better and makes my daypack lots lighter. I think soon I'll get rid of the mirror and raingear out of my pack too as I havent used them in 7 yrs. I can then carry more PBJ sammiches ^_^ into the backcountry.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

when I first heard that balistically challenged commercial for the new rangefinders...I felt like my cabelas brand range finder was taken from the short bus. But I like mine. If im on a hill, I'll range a tree at my height to the the real range to target so I dont have to do geometry in my head.

Oh my! The answer is THAT OBVIOUS!!! :lol:

You got it right dude. Congrats.

It's expensive to be stupid. ;)

Actually, as an aside, the flat range is still just an approximation. Do the flat calculating range finders do any better? I doubt it.

If you're decent at trig and know the projectile motion formulas this issue will flat burn up some calculator batteries. Suffice it to say that flat distance approximation will put meat in the freezer.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users