• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

Eric and I went out flintlock hunting today. This morning it rained but turned to snow by the time we got into position. Eric already filled his tags for our area so he started at the bottom of the mountain and I at the top where it was blowing a gale at times. I got within 15 yards of the place I wanted to set up and 4 deer ran back down the mt about 100 yds below my tree. Eric stumped out all the low lands and the mountainside without seeing a deer. We came back to the house at noon, ate lunch and headed up on the ridge behind the house. We hunted the top peeking into the many hollows as we went. No luck except for a few places that looked like a barnyard. The snow on the ground has only been there for two days so all the tracks were only that old at most. Last evening I got a shot at a doe but the flinter left me down as it did not spark. This afternoon we went past that spot and set up near where he got his buck. I sat down on a small sapling laying on a mound of dirt. Eric sat on a stump about 30 feet away. We sat there in all the wind for nearly 2 hours. I am so uncomfortable I can hardly stand it any more. I moved a little and then heard this pssst pssst. I looked at Eric and he gestured down the mountain. Obviously he has seen something. I look and look and finally see a deer. Man that deer is a long way off at the bottom and I lose sight of her. Eric keeps jesturing and I cannot hear what he is whispering. I stand up to go over and he jestures very excitedly. I got on my knees and can see the deer. It is still way down there. We are losing light so I prepare to shoot. I take the shot but am pretty certain I had missed. Eric came over and I pointed to where the deer was when I shot and he said no it was over there and points to a slightly different direction. I am pretty certain he is wrong. We go down to check the shot and he walks over to a spot about halfway to the deer I shot at and says it was standing right here. I said no the deer was way down there on the flat. We look at each other and realize he was looking at one deer much closer to us and I was looking at another one much farther away. Oh man if we were only sitting within psst distance I would have seen the one he saw and a chip shot. No I took a shot at a smaller deer at nearly 80 or 90 yards. We had our radios but I never thought of getting mine out. We followed the tracks of the deer I shot at for nearly 100 yds just to be sure it was a miss. From the tracks there was another deer that neither of us saw. Oh well it sure was fun even though my posterior is still wearing the imprint of that little log. On our way back in the dark we jumped at least three deer. Guess where I am going to be real soon.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

:doh: :lol: That sure was a heck of a hunt this afternoon.
At one point I even got out my radio out and flashed it at him thinking he would get the picture that I wanted him to turn his on so we could talk BUT NOOOOOO he didn't get the jesture. :no:
After he shot I realized he didn't see the deer I was trying to point out so from now on Eric's guide service just got a lot more expensive. :lol:
And I know PA is going to be a year older next month but I thought he still could still see through his :geek: but I guess not. :doh: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Great story guys, I could just picture the scene in my mind! :yes:
Thanks for sharing!

Edited by QueenNorth, 01 January 2008 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#4 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

eric and paul...thanks for the story...loved it ...
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

Ohhh the adventure!! I love it. Happy hunting guys and keep the stories coming.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:07 AM

Man what a comedy of errors. I was still laughing about it when we finally after a mile walk up the mountain and back down the other side to the truck in the dark. I know that the chances of something like this happening is very low but it happened to us. :lol: :huh: :lol:

#7 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

:lol: Great story!
-Eric

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

That's why it is called deer hunting and not deer shooting. A great story and memory. Better luck next time.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

Glad you guys are having such a great time but it looks like I'm still gonna have to come out there to show you how to kill a deer. ;) :lol:

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Well now Spirithawk COME ON DOWN you know that you guys are most welcome anytime. If you plan on coming right now though break out the long woolies as the temp this morning was 14 degrees. With a little wind blowing the chill factor must have been down around 0. I even gave up on going out this morning. Eric has off tomorrow so we have tomorrow and Saturday to corral a deer somehow. Now if I can see the one he points out. :lol: :lol:

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

If the wind that is currently blowing here moves out there to you.. fill your pockets with rocks and tie a rope to you and a tree.. it is brutal out there. It was below zero with at least a 40 MPH wind gusts at times. No need to shovel the roofs as the wind is doing all of that for me.

I bought another rifle today which would be perfect if it is legal out there.. A 21" barrel made by Green Mountain Barrel Company that fits my Hawkins flintlock. It has a 1-28 twist and should shoot sabots or conicals real well. That will be an excellent little tree rifle or stalking rifle for ranges out to 100 yards..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

I have the carbine version of Accusporter and as you know it is a green mt barrel. Infact I have two barrels both 50 cal 24 in one 1:28 the other 1:48. My accusporter came with the 1:48 barrel but I knew that I would not be happy till I had the 1:28 barrel. I really need to get both barrels shooting at their best I have the 1:28 pretty well dialed in but could do better. I am interested in trying some big old lead slugs in the 1:48.
Good luck with that new tube. I am sure you will wring the best it has to offer.
Yesterday we had about a 20 mph wind with gusts that just took your breath away. I tried walking the top of the ridge but that cold air came right through my stalking cap and about gave me an ear ache. It was just too cold and windy to go to the spot I wanted to. Plus we have just a little snow that froze into something that sounded like I had bags of potato chips on my boots. Supposed to be better weather tomorrow so we will get one either then or Saturday.

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

With a 21" barrel I figure it can't take much more then 100 grains of powder and burn that off... but since it is Green Mountain.. they like powder. So I am going to start with some 3f Goex and see how hard I can push that little rifle. It should make a good stalker rifle. Also I want to try shooting conicals out of it.

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

You are correct about that being easy to get through the brush. My 24 inch barrels make mine a short light and easy to carry. My investarms (Lyman) hawkens style has at least a 28 inch barrel and is a bear to carry all day long. When I carried that rifle, by days end my hands were down around my knees. I am very glad PA finally relaxed the rules on bullets. They used to permit only the PRB. That is ok but limits the possiblilities especially if your rifle does better with something other than the PRB. When I used the prb I had to hold my loads to 75 gr of 3f because that is where the accuracy is. I strictly limited my shots to under 75 yds and actually left some otherwise good shots go because of distance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users