• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 colohntr

colohntr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

I am just getting started into muzzleloading. My father and I want to go hunting in the fall season next year in colorado. I was looking at a Traditions Buckskinner w? the nickel barrel. I loved how balanced it felt. The price was nice also. Was just wondering the oppinion of some knowlegeable shoters. Also what is a good shooting combo with this gun, if any. thanks

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

First off welcome to the site there colohntr. I don't own one of the buckskinners but my father does and it was and still is a piece of crap. He will tell you a whole bunch of things about them. :( Him and I don't care much for them. :no:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hate to say it but you only get what ya pay for. If ya want to get started why not get a Thompson, Lyman, or Knight all great guns.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

I own a Traditions Buckskinner. I even shot a deer with it. I also missed the biggest buck of my life (been hunting since 1955) due to a hangfire. I was using American Pioneer Powder at the time and the cap went off but had a very much delayed ignition. So much that I was raising my head when it went off. I have never found a bullet/sabot or conical that will fit very well in its very tight bore. I even tried to trade it in at the shop where I bought it on my knight bighorn (now that is a real rifle) but the owner, a good friend, said no go and pointed to a bunch of used traditions and said I can't sell these and do not want another.

Right now it rests waaay back in the safe. One of these days I am going to get it back out and try it again. I did polish the bore with JB Bore paste but have not fired it since I did that. I hold that little rifle in very low esteem. It is a wonder that it does not sport a bent barrel but I resisted the urge to wrap it around a tree. About the only bullet that will load in even a clean barrel is a powerbelt. Those things shoot a pattern not a group.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Welcome to the site! I've never owned a Traditions rifle, so I can't/won't comment other than to say they are definitely viewed as a "lower end" firearm. I think anyone advising you to consider another brand first truly is trying to save you some trouble.

Though there are several members and staff members here who are quite knowledgeable, I would seek the advice of "cayugad" when it comes to muzzleloading firearms.

Welcome again!

============

Man, Paul, you're brutal. :lol: You must not have seen my Powerbelt groups with the T/C Hawken Flintlock... (3 touching in a 2" bull @ 50 yards. ;) ) That was a looong time ago I posted that though. As to APP... I still use it. I've had a couple slight delays on foul weather days (we're talking "click. pow!" instead of the usual "cli-pow!") but no real hangs. I do sneak a little 4F Goex into the touch hole and maybe that makes all the difference. The main reason I have stuck with it is because I can freely use real gun oil in the bore and breech of the rifle with no worries of super bad fouling. This, of course, cleared up a breech rust issue I was never able to clear up with other products.

To each his own! :D :peace:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

Jere My Buckskinner is a sidelock percussion. Usually there is no or hardly perceptable delay in these. APP powder draws moisture faster than any of the others in my experience. Traditions, CVA, New Frontier, Winchester and Remington and possibly others are all made at the same plant in Spain. The are at the bottom of the price scale and in my experience that is where they belong. After experiencing mechanical problems with CVA and Traditions my choice goes to the American made models.

Colohntr if I were in the market I would be looking at an American made TC, Knight, or Nef model. Some of them are not real expensive and have the best warrenty and resale value.

#7 colohntr

colohntr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

how does the deerstalker from lyman hold up in your guys' opinions .54 cal.

Edited by colohntr, 05 January 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

how does the deerstalker from lynman hold up in your guys' opinions .54 cal.

Lyman makes an Excellent firearm !....in a 54 cal. it'll pack a shoulder thump ;)
I'm toying with picking up the same gun in a 50 cal.

Edited by Phil, 05 January 2008 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

how does the deerstalker from lyman hold up in your guys' opinions .54 cal.

I have one in 50 cal and a flintlock and it plum kicks the snot out of deer. :yes: ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

Lyman is a very good muzzleloader. I have a couple of their cheaper models from years ago under the brand name Investarms. Eric is my son and his flintlock version with a 1:48 rate of twist is deadly. He might even outshoot me but don't tell him that. :lol: It will give him a swelled head.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Colohntr have you made a decision on a muzzleloader yet. Sorry for the rant about your first possibility. You just happened to hit a raw nerve when you mentioned the Buckskinner. My buckskinner has a 1:20 twist. That is a very fast twist for a muzzleloader. This rate of twist is meant for a bullet in a sabot which might not be legal in Colorado to hunt elk or deer with. I never tried bore sized conicals in my rifle but when I get a set of sights for it I am going to try some I have saved for just that reason. My rifle also has a very short barrel and with the rear sight mounted down the barrel a ways the sight plane is very short and hard to shoot accurately> With such a short barrel you cannot shoot a real big powder load or you get a real muzzle flash indicating that powder is still burning when the bullet exits. Guess that I'll keep that rifle as it taught me so much.

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

First off welcome to the forum. My computer crashed and I have been at a loss you might say. The loaner I am using is good though, and it is nice to be back.

The Tradition's might be a good choice, I have not shot one, nor seen too much on them. Colorado requires you shoot a conical bullet. Now the Traditions might shoot a Powerbelt well, but it is hard to say with out range time. Instead if I were headed to Colorado with a muzzleloader and I believe they require an open breech.. I would have a White .504 but they are hard to get. I own one, and they are getting rare and expensive.

The Lyman might be a good choice. They are a quality rifle. If you're young and strong consider a Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1-32 twist. It should be a good conical shooter. With the longer barrel and a Lyman Peep sight you would have some good range with that rifle. You can get drop in barrels for roundball shooting if you like to do that as well, at a later time.

The Lyman Deer Stalker is the shorter version of the Trade Rifle. They are a good rifle. I own a Trade Rifle and it is a good conical shooter. I see no reason why the Deer Stalker would not be.

Some other rifles to consider and be sure and check Colorado laws on what breech is legal..

T/C Omega, Knight Rolling Block, Lyman Trade Rifle, T/C Renegade... all of them would serve you well. If you want an extry level rifle consider the CVA Buckhorn Magnum. They are around $99.00-$129.00. They will shoot powerbelts. Also they are good conical shooters for the most part. If the company has not changed their barrels. I own a CVA Staghorn which is the Buckhorn before the second locking lug and the fancy grip stock. My Staghorn fit barrel to stock is not pretty, but it is a good shooting rifle. 100 grains of powder and a conical bullet and you should be in business.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users