Buffalo/bison Hunt

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Buffalo Hunt

Bison Hunt Photos

Well the whole story starts out with a message on my cell phone on Jan 2nd. Its Huck calling and telling

me there is an opening for a Bison hunt. It's a shared deal. The guy who paid for the hunt, wants the

meat, however due to family emergency can't go. He is willing to allow someone else to fill his spot / split

part of the hunt costs / and keep the trophy and do the hunt. He will pay the majority to cover purchase

of the meat.

On Jan 3rd Huck is on the phone again…DUDE YOU GOTTA DO THIS HUNT! For the cost…and

the idea of a road trip up to Wyoming, doing some shooting and having a bison mount…yea…I'll do it.

Now comes in the issues. I had moved scopes around for elk season on to different rifles. I had one

scope sent back to the company as it wouldn't hold its zero. It just came back and I needed to get 2 rifles

scoped and sighted in quickly.

Jan 5th I show up at Larry and Mels and we have a blast burning off powder and getting the scopes

mounted and sited in.

Jan 6th I'm out in our storage unit and up on a ladder pulling down totes looking for my hunting back

pack when I lean a bit to far and the ladder kicks out from under me. I do a cartwheel in the air and

come down on top of a tank air compressor. Landed on my left hip square to the motor of the

compressor. I lay there for a few mins…ok nothing is broken , I can move, I'm ok, Sore but ok. I finish

packing the truck in blizzard conditions and am thinking man this is going to be a long day. I load up, say

good bye to the wife, kiss the dog and head out the drive way for the front range. I go down the back

way in ice and slush covered roads. We have a major snow storm coming in I have to get out before I

can't get out. 1 ½ hours later I'm down in Denver, 58 degrees, sun is shining, my truck is thawing out and

I have a few hours to kill, so I go shopping at Sportsman's Warehouse. Pick up some new snow gators,

box of shells, set of brush creek scope covers for my scope. ( you know the weather report is saying we

will be hunting in a blizzard ) Finally meet up with Huck and we get all loaded up. Head down the road

and meet up with Buzz and his wife Liddy. Off we go to Wyoming.

Now the stories are flying fast and thick. Almost as bad as the snow. And the lies are getting as deep as

the snow. We are having a grand ole time on our road trip north. Once there we call the Rancher ( Stan )

find out he wants us at the Ranch at 8 am. Its an hour drive from town out to his place, time to hit the

sack and be ready for tomorrow.

I discovered one important thing. When you wake up at 4:30 and your buddy won't shut off the alarm,

check your watch, before you shower. Apparently the clock was reading 12:37 and Huck the nice guy

he was, let me get up and shower and get ready while he stayed in his bed snoozing ( and laughing to

himself ) well it turns out the clock was wrong it was actually 5 am and time for Huck to get up as well.

NO AMOUNT OF BEAUTY SLEEP IS EVER GOING TO HELP HUCK. '

Jan 7th, So by 6:30 breakfast is done, we are off and on our way out to the Ranch. Man was it a drive,

way way out there. We saw turkeys, and mule deer ( mule deer by the hundreds ) speed goats, coyotes,

rabbits.

Man it would be a kids dream to go rabbit hunting out there, and at 8 am we pulled into the Ranch with

Stan out there waiting at his truck for us.

Posted Image

10 mins of introductions, and instruction, and off we went for our bison hunt.

Now I was shooting clean up. Buzz and Liddy were going first. Stan figured when we got out there, we'd

have 5-10 mins for Buzzy and Liddy to get set up and shots off before the herd figured out they where in

danger. Well between them figuring it out quicker then that and a couple of misses, the herd was off and

the chase was on. Now to get a 2nd chance at getting close to them. We spent about 2 hours getting

close getting set up..off they would go and we'd chase, follow them. Close the gap, set up do it all again.

Finally they crossed a deep draw. We actually found a spot to drive the trucks down into it and climbed

up the other side. We topped the rim, hiked up a slope and as we topped the slope there was the herd at

100 yards. We all hit the ground and started setting up. Hucks filming, Buzz and Liddy are shooting, I'm

waiting my turn….the bison spread out and there it is, what you waited for, them strung out in a line and

you can shoot without going into a 2nd animal. Buzz takes a shot and has one walking dead. Liddy goes

to shoot and the nerves get to her. She tries the shooting sticks , she tries prone, she tries sitting, she

squeezes off a shot and we hear zing as it slaps off rock and goes wide. She tries again and whack. We

have what we think is a 2nd hit. She shaking so bad she can't pop off another shot. Buzz's first bison is

lined up with others and he can't take a shot, Stan looks at me and says if you can drop yours go for the

2nd from the left.

Posted Image

I'm prone and ready…I go 60% up and just behind the leg ( boy is it different when you skin them and

see where you actually hit. ) I squeeze off a shot and hit, you'd think I was tickling it with a feather rather

then driving a 300 win mag 180 gr bullet into it. Actually it was an in and out shot, took the lungs. I

racked round 2 and set the cross hairs, boom.. bison jumped but wouldn't go down ( turns out I hit with

in 3 inches of my first shot and again it was in and out ) I rack in a 3rd round. Huck and I had talked

about the neck shot to put them down…I'm sighting in on its neck and I hear kaboom and look over.

Buzz's bison hits the ground like a rag doll. He looks at me and mouths Neck. I put my scope back on

the ear, move back a few inches..down a couple of inches and boom. My bison drops like a sack of

tatters hitting the floor.

Posted Image

Now we turn to Liddy's she says to Buzz, please just put it down for me I can't do it. Buzz pops off a

round and hits..but it keeps going…now they are on the run, Stan leans over to me and says back it up,

don't let it run we'll never find it out here. I'm holding waiting for the next shot and I hear the action

working on Buzz's rifle. Sounds as if there is a jam, I've got the bison in my sites and I pull a neck shot

and drop it. I look up and Buzz is just looking through his scope and says, I was gonna shoot and starts

laughing. None of us wanted a wounded animal running and after 2 hours of chasing them we all knew if

they took off it wasn't gonna be fun or easy. We had 3 hunters, 3 bison, all amazing and all different.

Posted Image

Buzzes first one is black, jet black. She is royal looking.

Liddy's is a blonde back with a dark head

Bruce's is tan with a dark head and perfect horns. But it's also full of cockabures. Covered with hundreds of them.

Posted Image

Now the work starts, we had 3 animals at close to 1000 lbs each that needed to get loaded up on a flat

bed of a dually. Back to the ranch and field dressed and cleaned up.

That part of the hunt ( using wenches and tractors and such ) took 2 hours an animal. 6 hours later we

were sitting around the table having Hot Chili and raspberry cobbler for desert. 3 bison loaded into

Buzz's truck and off we headed to the meat processors.

By 10 pm I was dropping Huck off at his house and starting my drive home, back up the mountain. I got

home around 1 am driving back into a blizzard, 2 detours due to accidents and I walked in the door, hit

the couch and woke up the next morning with Dakota looking at me going…why do you smell so funny?

It was a fast and furious whirl wind of a trip with a ton of laughs, a good time and something I'd love to do again. Next t

time, its with the 44 mag ;)

Posted Image

Huge thanks go Larry for helping me get the rifles sited in and for Huck for thinking of me and coming along on the trip. Was a blast and heck of a way to start the new year.

Edited by McBruce, 08 January 2008 - 10:11 AM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Now that was waaay kewl.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

Congrats Bruce. It sounds like you had a really good time!
-Eric

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Gotta love it when it all comes together. I will say Bruce that you are a 100% maniac!!! You're like the real life Energizer bunny!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Awesome story, pics, and opportunity Bruce. :clap:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:01 AM

Now that was exciting !
Too often guys leave out the lead in stories about what goes on just getting to a hunt....glad you're okay with all the bumps & bruises ! :D
Posted Image

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

ya know Phil...I tried not to show it...but after that fall and then riding in the truck about 9 hours to get to hucks and then to the ranch, I was one sore puppy. by the time it came to skinning and getting them loaded up, it was all I could do to bend over and pick up the cape. Not to mention getting home that night.

Larry the E bunny LOL I dont think so.... I got home at 1 am, Dakota woke me up at 7 am, by 10 am I was back in bed and Randy was asking me at 4:30 if I was gonna ever get up ROFLMAO.

it was fun, I don't have any stills of Huck, but this morning I've been going through the video...I think we have some of him there ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Bruce congrats and thanks for sharing the hunt. :clap: I have alot of respect for the native American trying to take one these bison down with primitive weapons. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

Wow Bruce, what a story, what a hunt congrats to you, huck and the rest of the gang! Would love to do a hunt like that someday. Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
Woody and Patsy
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#10 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

Way to go guys! Stan is a great guy and a blast to hunt with (Same guy Marty and I killed our buffs with). Everyone should coniser hunting buffalo at least once.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

Congrats on a great hunt Bruce! That sure looks like a great hunt.

I haven't seen Buzz since the Bar E. Good to see he's doing well! Congrats to him as well.

Wait till I tell John A(Sweet) that Buzz (Lightyear) got a bison! He'll enjoy hearing that I'm sure.
Posted Image

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image

huck sent this to me from his camera :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

huck sent this to me from his camera :)

Tatanka UUG! Heep good medicine. Your smile says a lot - thanks for sharing.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

GREAT picture! But then Huck took it, so no surprise. What a smile!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#15 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

A little late-but congrads to ya'......................
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users