#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

Hey Jer, what about a pinned thread just for new and old members to introduce themselves and get to know one another a little better? Things such as hobbies, what they hunt, where they live, what they do for a living, etc.. You could make a whole new section for it or just pin it in the general forum.

Edited by run'ngun, 08 January 2008 - 08:52 PM.

-Eric

#2 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Now that sounds like a cool idea! Maybe members would be more inclined to introduce themselves on a thread as opposed to fill out their profile. Not sure though but sure have noticed not many members fill out their profile.
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

I've thought about it. We used to have one on the old site...

I guess I also see it from the flip side. We have the best personal profile system going and yet most don't use it. Would a thread or forum get more play?

I'd think putting a few of the profile info questions on the registration page as "not required" (and maybe a note to fill out profiles in a "Welcome PM") might be more effective yet.

I'll think about it some more... Maybe ask the rest of the staff their opinion. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing Jeremiah. There is a personal profile that each member can fill out to share all the info you would want (or not want) to yet most don't use it.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:35 AM

since I'm the treasure...or so I've been told.....I think Larry should be Sarg at Arms...and your first duty is to check everyones personal profile...see what needs filled out and shoot them a pm and let them know you want it done :)
we;ll expect a report at our next meeting
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

since I'm the treasure...or so I've been told.....I think Larry should be Sarg at Arms...and your first duty is to check everyones personal profile...see what needs filled out and shoot them a pm and let them know you want it done :)
we;ll expect a report at our next meeting

Of course you're treasurer...

It's all I could come up with when you told me you didn't want to be called "Number 2" for some reason... :hmm:

:rofl:

sig_admin.png

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

Sgt. at Arms? Does that mean I get to carry a gun? So then that means instead of shooting an e-mail to non-profile filler outters, I can just simply shoot them! Yahoo! ^_^
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Of course you're treasurer...

It's all I could come up with when you told me you didn't want to be called "Number 2" for some reason... :hmm:

:rofl:

Jer Jer Jer :no:

Edited by McBruce, 09 January 2008 - 09:26 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

COngrats on the promotion to check writer Bruce. :clap: Write one and get yourself some butt kickin boots to keep us all in line. :lol: Maybe ya can pass out your business cards next Elkatraz.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

Just wanted to get back on topic a little here and let you know I haven't closed the door on this idea. I really have thought about a few different ways to implement something. I see new people register and never post sometimes and it makes me wonder. (You know what they say about "first impressions", after all.)

Basically, we should be undergoing some changes in the next couple months. (Current users will likely notice no real changes in the way they do things, but they'll be significant changes none the less.) These changes should open the door for more things to be put into place.

sig_admin.png

#11 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Well Jer we will leave it in your capable hands! We know you do good work and have our best interests in mind. :yes:
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Jere I too have noticed that a number of new people have been signing in but no posts. I used to pm a new member and welcome them to the site kinda like an outreach program. I usually espoused the kinder gentler type of folks we have and that our folks would not jump down their throat but extend a real welcome to them. I'm not sure it did anything but it made me feel better for doing it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

Paul that was an awesome thing you were doing, maybe we all need to take some responsibility and send a welcome message to all new members and or put up a welcome post. Not everyone will do it and that is good because it might overwhelm the new member but a few from members that frequent the board, like myself, might be condusive to a nice welcome. You are to be commended for your thoughfulness.
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

Well thank you Woody and Patsy. Makes me feel good that not all my brain cells have went inactive. That is provided I had any to begin with.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

I suggest a section saying "welcome all new pilgrims to our campfire" or "welcome to the hunting resource forum". An introduction of sorts inside the top part when one opens the forum to see immediately. It can have a part that is a friendly short and to the point welcome. It can also point out some benefits of posting here, etc. You know the rest.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users