Metal String Loop

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

How do you then fix a tight nock without replacing it should you find some in your quiver?

I hope I'm not jumping out of turn, but you can buy more of your brand nocks and sort them 'til you find good matches. Or, you can do what I do for indoor target and buy "premium" nocks like Beiter brand (which can still, on rare occasion, have imperfections). Or... I've seen where guys set up a drill press with the appropriate size bit for their nock and "slide the nock" off and onto the spinning bit a couple times to get them all "uniform". (I suppose you always do have the fourth option of not caring too. :lol: )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#17 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

"Fixing" nocks that are too tight is not something I would recommend. The possibility of weakening the nock is simply too great. If a nock breaks upon release of the bowstring the effect is EXACTLY like a dry fire. Having experienced a nock split myself (on a nock I never touched), I'm quite paranoid of this.

If you just have some that are moderately tight. You may simply shoot those arrows a bunch of times and often they will loosen up, just from use.

If they are really very tight, get new nocks. Or if ALL your nocks are too tight, you can re-serve your string with a smaller diameter serving. This is a much better option than trying to "open" them up. Don't get cute trying to save a couple bucks.

Edited by Leo, 18 January 2008 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

Leo I wholeheartedly agree. I too had a split nock but was fortunate to be using a recurve at the time and nothing was harmed. I also tried to loosen up some tight fitting nocks and only ruined the nock.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#19 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:47 AM

I really liked the lil D ring metal string loop I had on my bow but HuckBruceDave suggested I would do far better with a tied string loop and I deferred to their experience. The improvemnt in my shooting was dramatic.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users