3 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing the 30 TC barrel for my encore as a back up barrel for my Africa trip this year. Anyone have any input on this cartridge? Supposedly flatter shooting than a 30-06. Less recoil and less powder burned than an .06 too.

I was originally going to get the 7 mag. barrel. I intend to hunt mainly with a blackpowder still.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

I know i recently read an article on the 30 TC. None of my reloading manuals list that round. I'll have to see if I still have that magazine right now I don't remember which mag it was.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

I know i recently read an article on the 30 TC. None of my reloading manuals list that round. I'll have to see if I still have that magazine right now I don't remember which mag it was.

That's not just because the 30TC is a new round PA. It's because reloading the 30TC brass will only get you slightly LESS than 308Win performance. The 30TC is a proprietary loading cartridge using Hornady's magical pixie powder. If you are a reloader, avoid this cartridge.

IMHO, not a good choice for Africa. Your choices of loadings are too limited.

Rumor has it. I've seen on several different forums the same complaint, so it may have some validity. Encore's 7mm bores are notoriously PROBLEM CHILDS.

The 30-06 gets my vote and Federal's high energy loading of the 180gr partitions will be plenty flat enough at 2800fps.
Posted Image

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I was going to advise the 7mm mag but Leo advises no and I sure trust his advice. I'm partial to a .270 myself but have to admit that the 30-06 is probably more versatile and packs enough punch to be a good choice. The main thing to consider, in my opinion, is what all the new barrel will be used for. Not just Africa, but at home too. I'd definitely go with a tried and true caliber over one that's new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users