#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Quite often when I'm on the internet my curser will just freeze for a 30 seconds to a minute. It's not that the computer freezes because I can use the arrow keys to move the page up and down. Do you know what is wrong with it?

Also Windows Media Player will not come up when I click on it in the start menu and the desktop. How can I fix that?

Edited by run'ngun, 21 January 2008 - 07:57 PM.

-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Unless your computer is an Acer too I'm pretty sure that the cursor freeze is a Windows Vista thing because my new notebook does it too. (The processor and RAM guages on my sidebar don't move. It's not a PC load issue... The cursor just simply freezes.)

Windows Media Player... I thought I remembered discussing other WMP bugs with you in the past. Basically, Media Player is an integrated component into Vista. As a result, there is no ability to uninstall/reinstall it as a possible fix and Microsoft has still not released any bug fixes for it yet. I suppose you could always right-click on the icon and click properties then check to make sure the target is still pointing to the WMP executable. (Should be something like "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe") Outside of that... :unsure:

Basically, all of us stuck with Vista and suffering through these bugs (which should have been worked out ages ago in the beta testing phase!) are either going to have to find a new OS, "downgrade" to XP, or just ride it out until Vista Service Pack 1 (which I was hoping would have been out by late January).

I hate to admit it as I really don't care for Mac on any level and I would rather run Windows than Linux in a perfect world... But, I see myself once again desperately trying to find a way to get the software I need for the classes I'm taking to work on Linux in the near future so I can free myself from M$ once again. :(

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Jer! The target is "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1 . Is that normal?

Thanks for all your help Jer
-Eric

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

Yep normal.

sig_admin.png

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

I don't know why Vista just decided to start hating me now, but I guess I'll survive. Thanks for your help Jer.
-Eric

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

I don't know why Vista just decided to start hating me now, but I guess I'll survive. Thanks for your help Jer.

It's not just you... It hates us all. :lol:

Seriously, I love the "look" of it. But, I fear we may be headed toward another "Windows ME" experience here. :worry: I think I read a "Ten Worst Tech Items of 2007" article on Yahoo a few weeks back which had Vista on it. :(

sig_admin.png

#7 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

here is a fix for the first problem. Read the entire post so you get an idea of what to do. IF YOU DARE...

As for WMP go to the directory you gave earlier and make sure the exe is really there. If it is give it a double click, only do that once. If it doesn't come up open up task manager and see if you see the process running. If it is running you should find wmplayer.exe in the list. If it's not there go to the control panel > admin tools > event viewer > applications. Start at the top and look for red X's. It should be the first one in the list. Double click and get the error and maybe I can help you with it. There is a hot fix for WMP 11, it may or maynot solve your problems. WMP 11 HOTFIX

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Old post but I have an update with the freezing issue. It's gotten so bad lately that I decided to switch from the cheap laser mouse that we were using to the ball type mouse that came with the computer and a mouse pad. Now I haven't had the cursor freeze on me since about noon today right before I switched the mouse. Maybe it was the mouse all along? :blink: :hmm: :hmm:
-Eric

#9 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

Is Vista really bad as I keep hearing. I wonder if I should buy a copy of XP Pro while it is available just in case I ever need it. I am running XP now and don't want to buy a puker with Vista, not a typo either.
MR300WM

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

Search around a bit for a few of my most recent topics in this computing forum. At least a couple of them are about Vista and some of the specific problems I have encountered.

In my opinion, overall, Vista is a disappointing performer compared to XP. You can Google to find benchmark comparisons for performance between Vista and XP running everything from image editing software to PC games. XP outperforms Vista nearly every time. Further, many of the "problems" are purposely designed "features" of the Vista OS. To me, "User Account Control" has to be the most annoying purposely designed feature of Vista. The only way to fully avoid having any issue with it, especially when running "pre-Vista" software is to disable User Account Control completely. Well, naturally, this defeats the security purpose intended!

I've stuck it out with Vista because there were some marked improvements with the first Service Pack. (Admittedly, I'm also a sucker for the "eye candy" Vista offers compared to previous Windows versions.) Besides, both my new laptop and desktop came Vista pre-loaded and when I went and checked what all hardware may not work if I rolled back to my preferred XP Pro, I was looking at half needing new drivers at the least. (I simply don't have the time/ability now to gamble on making everything work in a timely manner.) Add to that the fact that Windows new User License Agreement only allows for 3 installs of Vista before you have to purchase a new license and I just don't want to waste an install toying around. Oh, and let's not forget that Windows also no longer allows PC manufacturers to ship an OEM copy of Windows (Vista anyway) with the computer. So, all you get now is a hidden partition on the C drive with what you need to reinstall Vista if a problem occurs. Blow that partition away by formatting the hard drive to install XP and you are possibly out of luck in restoring Vista.

In summation of Windows Vista:
Problems? Yes; some fairly serious ones, IMO.
Worst OS Windows has ever released? No; not even close to the low level of Windows Me.

sig_admin.png

#11 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:24 PM

I read somewhere or seen on tv or somewhere that they were talking about discontinuing vista and coming out with a newer OS next year due to the problems that everyone is facing if its true or not Im not sure but what I had seen said something to the effect of if you want it you need to get it as once the newer version is released you wont be able to get it anymore (could have been a ploy though to get more to buy it )
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

I am pretty sure I read months ago that the next version of Windows has been in the works for about a year now. (That's not necessarily odd though.) How rapidly Microsoft is developing and/or releasing it, I have no clue.

Windows ME was only around for about a year before XP came along and ME was rapidly discontinued. I think it was Leo who speculated here months ago that he wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat performance.

In my mind, I can't see why any company would purposely put out crapware just so that they can "save the day" with a good follow up. (Mac is gaining too much of a following these days to be playing those games.) Butm there are a lot of folks who think Microsoft does just that.

I guess only time will tell what happens here. I maintain Vista is passable. I just expect way more than that.

sig_admin.png

#13 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Don't know if its true or not but have heard that the next MS OS is to be released in 2010 and that MS has garenteed to provide support for XP for 13 years because of problems and disatisfaction with Vista a lot of companys are complaning about troubles and program that won't work with Vista and are downgrading/upgrading to XP Pro when buying new computers. Buy the way my old computer still has ME and no troubles untill the moniter went out.

Edited by Joe, 30 July 2008 - 06:15 PM.

MR300WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users