• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

Today was 2šs with a windchill of -15 to -25 degrees, but it was not snowing. The wind was blowing out of the north, and it was COLD!!!

I wanted to shoot my 21" Green Mountain Long Range Hunter Barrel with the 1-28 twist. This is a flintlock barrel mounted in my T/C Hawkins Rifle. I swabbed between all shots with pure isopropyl alcohol. I loaded 90 grains of Goex 3f and a .430 300 grain XTP in a Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot.

I fired shot #1 and wondered why it was so far to the left. Checking the rear sight I noticed it was not centered exactly. So I centered the rear sight. I then shot #2-#5 and was more then pleased with the accuracy of the rifle so far. To then check if it was me or the sights, I adjusted my POA and fired #6 & #7. About this time, my camera battery went dead.

I then decided to try some .503 460 grain Bull Shop Conicals. I loaded 70 grains of Goex 3f without a wad. I fired three of them. And they grouped well. I would have shot more but could no longer feel my toes and fingers so I decided to call it a day and wait for better weather.

Over all I think this barrel will be a good one. With 90 grains of powder there is no recoil, but then I had on a Parka to stay warm.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

Today I decided to try another bullet. I started the shooting with 90 grains of Goex 3f and a 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB. The first three with that charge were not grouping at all and I was not pleased. So I decided to try them starting at scratch loads. I then loaded 70 grains of Goex 3f in that little 21 inch Green Mountain Barrel flintlock and got a real eye opener. With that charge it just started to lay them in there above the bull, shot after shot. I was swabbing between shots with pure 91% isopropyl alcohol. I was very pleased with that load and would hunt tomorrow with it if legal...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

Looking good Cayugad
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

Yep looking great there Cayugad. :thumbsup:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Yep that is a winner load all right. I believe my green mt 1:28 barrel is 24 inches and I can shoot pretty well with it using 45 cal 300 xtps and 90 gr of 3 f goex. I want to do some shooting with full bore slugs this spring. Of course my 24 inch barrel in 1:48 needs some shooting attention too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

Posted Image

The main group with 70 grains was impressive. That big chunk of lead would do a deer bad to the bone. The next thing I want to try out of the rifle is some of the Parker Extreme 275 grain. They shoot excellent out of my Knight rifles and so I suspect they will shoot good out of this carbine barrel. I am tempted to throw some peep sights on this rifle but for now will just keep shooting the way it is.

I have a slight problem with the focus of the fiber optic sights and then the bulls eye. I can get one in focus and the other has a slight blurr. But so far this is good. Also with the amount it shoots over the bull it should be very close at 100 yards. Once my bench rest is no longer frozen to the ground in the snow, I will move back and see what it can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users