16 replies to this topic

#1 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Ok lets set the stage

you are out hunting desert mule deer with a bow, its 3pm, you glass up this monster from over 1 mile.

Posted Image

Posted Image

he has 3 ladies with him, he beds down you have 3 hours of day light left, so you plan your stalk, it takes you over an hour just to get with in 200 yards of him, it takes another hour to close the distance to with in 50 yards, all of a sudden you relize he does not have 3 lady friends but 17 lady friends and 3 other bucks,

you have done a good job getting in and among the deer, you see HIM walking up the ridge towards you, you range a bush at 35 yards,

all of a sudden you see movement to your right, your heart jumps thru your mouth and lands in your hand, a 170 class 3x3 is standing there looking at HIM, you range him at 22 yards with an open lane, you look back at HIM a 190 class 4x4 he is standing behind the bush you just ranged at 35 yards, his vitals are coverd but if he takes 2 steps foward he is yours

the question is do you wait the 190 class 4x4 out, or shoot the 170 class 3x3

my answer will be posted on sunday nite, after I get back from the Jr. Javilina hunt.

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

Shoot at the one you can get in the sights. One in the sights is worth a hundred behind the bush.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

The smaller one that is closer is very likely to bust you at 22yds. If you can live with nothing but the biggest that day, then you wait, but the odds are seriously against you.

I'd have shot the closer considering my chances at a muledeer that big are slim. If I had more days, one bigger under my belt or even next year, I might wait.

No one will fault you for shooting the smaller buck.
Posted Image

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I would have taken the shot at the smaller deer. They both are great bucks anyway.
-Eric

#5 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

As you have said the 3x3 is looking at the other buck. If the wind is in your favor and the 3x3 has no idea that you are there then I wait for the 4x4 to take his two steps. The way I look at it is that the 3x3 will be bigger next year so even if you do get busted you will still have two trophey deer in that area.

turbo

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Wait. Take the 4 X 4.

You got in undetected so you're good, right. If they wind you it's just hunting and you can get on them another day. If you pass on the 3 X 3 you'll have another chance next season or later if you get busted and still have that tag. I done this very thing with Elk and scored and have been busted. I still would wait every time.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

before you leave on the hunt, set you goal, stick with it, if you fill it you did what you wanted, if you don't, you hunted for your goal....I guess its the ole saying, don't pass up on the 1st day what would be your trophy on the last day.

so unless we know where YOU set your bar... its a guess. Personaly....I had a 300 lb black bear in front of me for 30 mins ( 10 yards ) and was watching a 150-175 lb color phase at 70 yards waiting his turn to come in. I've got one black hanging on the wall. my trip and goals were big black or decent color. at 8:30 at night I wondered if I messed up...when finaly after 4 tries the color phase came in.

the trophy... was smaller, but what I wanted.

knowing you.... you held out and went for the bigger boy.
now I want to know. did you get him?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Well it's January and in Arizona you can only kill 1 deer per calendar year. You can shoot a 3 pt that scores better than most folks deer or you can wait for a real wall hanger. I would wait since you know you will see another monster before next January. But then on the other hand the last deer I saw you with was ... well not so big so you might shoot the 3 pt for the move up. ;)

#9 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

Which ever one I can with out getting busted!

#10 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

i would wait

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

After thinking about it a while and placing myself in his shoes as a guide I would have taken the smaller one and let the big boy for a client.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

after stalking in on this big ol 4x4 I found my self face to face with the large 3x3 now I am not a trophy hunter by any means, but I had set a goal 2 months ago when I found this 4x4 and told my self its him or nothing,

I had him at 35 yards and was waiting for him to take that last step to get a clear shot at his vitals, when a doe came in undetected from behind me and started to browse on the very palo verde tree I was standing next to, she was about 10 feet, not yards but feet directly behind me, after holding my bow at full draw for about 2 mins I had to let off, both bucks were looking at each other and I thougt I could let down and re draw when he started to move, well as soon as I moved to let down the doe in my back pocket blew up and deer went every which way,

some times its not about the kill but the joys of being out there in the wide open spaces and being in such close proxcimity to gods creatures that counts.

I still have a couple of days to chase the one and if I dont get him well , then if I can draw a muzzy tag for that unit I will have another chance at him, if not well at least I counted coue on the big 3x3, FOR THE 4th time this season, I have let that big 3x3 walk,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

RL that sounded pretty cool to me and thanks for sharing it. :yes: I'd enjoyed every second of that hunt.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Off the rock, through the 3x3, around the bush, over the cacti, nothing but 4x4...

It counts RL if you call your shot. Who could argue... :no: :no: :no:

That's why it's called hunting. And you are there for the right reason! Stay after him!

;)
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Kudos for having the right attitude buddy. Guys like you set the right example. :D :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users