16 replies to this topic

#16 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

Excellent - I feel like the trophy of my choosing is exactly that "of my choosing". I got the biggest thrill this year out of sitting on the ground (wore my sunglasses to be completely camoed) & had 4 does walk within 30 yards - took the last one. It was one of the windiest days (15 mph + with gusts) and 2:00 in the afternoon. I felt like I had "beaten the odds". It was the greatest hunt & to me that doe was a trophy!!!

Great hunting story!!

#17 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

There is always one more set of eyes you didn't count on in a stalking situation. Your tale drives that point home with emphasis.

The situation you were describing to me sounded like "one more step" was a lot to hope for. Turns out it was.

Since you've had multiple chances at the 3x3 I can certainly relate to your decision.

Let me point out though, in my experience, sometimes that "gimme" buck is your real barrier to succeeding. He's getting an education, and sometimes these bucks will make you pay for not taking them.

There was an old doe that was in an area I used to hunt. If I saw her in a group, (she was distinctively gray,) I automatically knew my chances were severely diminished to take one of the deer out of that group. She was flat uncanny with detecting danger. She could hear you blink! As far as I know. No one ever her got her.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users