3 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Any time you put new strings and cables on your bow or buy a new bow there is what's called shoot in period to stretch out the cables. I have heard it said 50 shots before you start trying to set your tuning on the bow or is it better measured by a drop in pounds from when it was first measured. Say you put it on the scale and it measured 72# before taking any shots then after 50 shots it measured 70# and after 75 shots it measured down to 68#. When it is done and you can then twist the cables back to the 72# and tune the bow?
Thanks for taking the time to answer this one through. :blink:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 26 January 2008 - 09:33 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

It totally depends on the strings. I've had some brands "shoot in" in 50 to 100 shots while others took much more. (Generally, 50 to 100 is a "premium string" and you usually "get what you pay for".)

I would say with a 4 lb. drop that your bow is fairly out of spec. If it were me, I would be twisting. :peace:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

It totally depends on the strings. I've had some brands "shoot in" in 50 to 100 shots while others took much more. (Generally, 50 to 100 is a "premium string" and you usually "get what you pay for".)

I would say with a 4 lb. drop that your bow is fairly out of spec. If it were me, I would be twisting. :peace:

I put another 50 shots through it since I posted this and poundage hasn't dropped any more.

Jeremiah it's the Zebra Barracuda string from Mathews I'm referring to and you're right the timing holes on the cam are not paralell now so twisting is next on my list. Thanks.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 27 January 2008 - 02:57 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Poundage drop certainly tells you the string is stretching.

Brace height and Axle to Axle are easier to measure. ;) That's what you want to change by adding or removing twists anyhow. Just cranking the pounds back up won't bring everything back into tune.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users