10 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

Ok guys. Heres a topic I don't recall seeing before. What is the longest turkey beard that you've personally got, have seen, or heard of? My son Jason has been pretty lucky. He's shot 6 gobblers so far and not one under 20lbs and each had a beard over 10 inches and one had a double beard. Think his longest beard was 10 3/4". I was kinda surprised that mine went 12" which is the longest I've seen or heard of. Kinda proud of that. ;) :yes: It got me thinking though as to just how long their beards can get? :huh:

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

Well Norm I just shaved so I wish you would have asked this question a couple of weeks ago, I would have measured it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OK now back to the real question,the longest I have gotten myself is I think 9 3/4 inches. PA just got a long beard out in Kansas last week and it was over 12 inches but that is another story that I will let him tell when he gets home. B)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

Cool Eric. I look forward to hearing it. When's he due back? Miss his posts. Us old coots have to stick together. ;) :lol: Hope he's having a great trip and hey, how come you didn't get to go? :huh: :lol:

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

According to WWW.NWTF.ORG

The longest beard was on this bird.

Hunter's Name: ROBERT M. TREMBLAY
Home State: VA
Species: Eastern (Typical)
Harvest Date: May 2, 1998
Harvest Location: KING GEORGE, VA, USA
Total Score: 74.2500 #193*
Number of Beards: 1
Longest Beard: 18.1250" #1*
Longest Spur: 0.8750" #35*
Other Spur: 0.8750"
Weight: 20.5000 lbs. #247*
Method of Take: M Firearm
Calls Used: Box

Personal notes:
Longest I ever harvested was 10 3/4"
Longest I ever saw on a bird in the wild was pretty close to 14" (and Phil if you're wondering he was bigger than the one you thought had the black snake stuck to him ;) )

Edited by Leo, 25 April 2006 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

Cool Eric. I look forward to hearing it. When's he due back? Miss his posts. Us old coots have to stick together. ;) :lol: Hope he's having a great trip and hey, how come you didn't get to go? :huh: :lol:

Well Norm PA will be back on May 2nd.

Yes he is having a wonderful trip (He wacked 2 birds and then called me last Thursday night to rub it in). :o :lol: :lol:

And Norm I opted NOT to go this year because we put in for a cow elk rifle tag for Elkatraz 3 and at this point in my life with my 2 children in day care I just can't swing 2 different out of state hunting trips. BUT I will tell you Sir look out next year cuz I WILL be going to Kansas. :yes: B) :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

9 3/4 on last year's bird.
Best I've seen is one my Brother inlaw killed near State College. It had 3 beards, an 11,5,3" and weighed over 23lbs. He got a trophy citation for that bugger.
Posted Image

#7 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

We usually see an average where we hunt in MN and WI of around 10". I've got two at 11.5", Five at 10.5", Four at 10", Three at 9.5", and one (Black Hills Merriam) at 7.5". Put it this way, I don't eat the beards!! :D

#8 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

The first turkey I ever got was up near Tom Schelands stomping grounds in Big Sandy, Tenn. It was checked in at a station and was measured by the person at the station. 23# - 1 7/8" spurs - and a 14" beard. Some of the beard has broken off and it now measures 12 1/2".
Posted Image

#9 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:11 PM

My 1st and only turkey was a beautiful merrian that sported a 9-1/2" beard. I have yet to get out this season but we still have over 2 weeks yet.

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#10 Wingman

Wingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

This is the bird I got last year
it had three Beards 11" 8 1/4" 8 1/4"
that is 27.5 " if you only count the mane beard 11"

Posted Image

I also took a hen a fue years back and she had a 6.75" beard
Wingman

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

Ok Folks I knew I had a pic of the longest beard I have ever got and I found it.
That is a 1 foot ruler for reference. The full length is 18 inches.

Posted Image

Ok I am playing with you all. If you look closely you will see it is three beards put together. Gotcha :o) :o) :lol:

In reality the bird I got in Kansas just this year has my longest beard which is a true 12 inches. I have others from 9 to 11 1/4. The 9 incher is from the hobbler I shot in Kansas A male impersonator. Yep it was a hen.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users