Hunting Hounds And House Pets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:02 AM

There is a relationship created between a man and dog when they share the same house. I would like to share with you two of the best hunting dogs I have ever owned.

" David's Snowshoe Marauder" aka Dixie, breed beagle, 1975 to 1988.
I got Dixie when I was 15. A pure bred beagle pup from Nashua, NH. I grew up in a neighborhood. There was a hare cover about a mile away.
I can not count the times I grabbed the 870 and the dog and walked proudly through the neighborhood and across the main drag, Portsmouth Ave in Exeter and hunted behind the Exeter Sportsman Club. We hunted hare on snow. You would not believe my amazement the first time Dixie ran a rabbit on bare ground. I always thought we needed snow. :shock:
Those first few rabbit seasons, man and beagle, formed a path in my life I still follow to this current day.
One on one we chased the white bunny. I shot so many snowshoe hare over that dog I switched to my 22 bolt action rifle to make it more of challenge. She seemed to know if she ran steady I would be there for her.
When I became a trapper I lost a couple critters because they pulled my stake. I went home, got Dixie, brought her to the scene and added a raccoon and fox, both she tracked down, to the fur shed.
I took the dog pheasant hunting and she has two red fox to her credit.
Dixie spent her 12.5 years as a house dog, pet and my best friend. She slept under the covers in my bed every night. She was the best natural hunter I have ever owned.

"Carlton Brook Brandy", breed English Springer Spaniel. 1984 to 1999
Excuse me a moment as I write about this dog. To this day it still feels like losing a child. Her picture is right here at my desk. Brandy was special. A born bird hunter with a great nose. It took a lot of training.
Trapping pigeons under bridges. Planting them in spring traps in the fields with taped up flight feathers. Seeding the field with spun pigeons and working her through. We spent a lot of time training during her first year.
Brandy was trained to whistle and hand signals. The hand signals kept our relationship alive when at 9 years old she went deaf. That ended our hunting career.
Brandy also hunted for me. One key trait I loved was she would bark at flush. If you heard that dog whining and then bark you better be looking for wings.
Three things stand out about Brandy,
1. If she was working and paying no attention to my commands I better be ready. She would work that bird till she flushed it. A couple roosters live because I didn't pay attention to her signals.
2. We shot at a partridge one day. Clean miss. But Brandy would not come out of that cover and move on. I got frustrated and angry at her.
Until she brought the wounded partridge to hand. I never questioned her again.
3. On a hunt on day I heard Brandy whine and bark at flush. The cover was too thick for a shot. How surprised do you think I was when she showed up with a live partridge in her mouth missing all it's tail feathers.
She caught a partridge and I ate it. :D
Brandy was the closest to me as I have ever been in the man, dog world. I dream of hunting with her again.

House pets make the best hunting dogs. I have proof. ;)
Posted Image

Brandy and Dixie. In Their Chair".
Posted Image

Edited by Coalman, 04 February 2008 - 07:19 PM.

Your eye in the northeast sky.

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

It's amazing the bonds we create with the animals in our lives. Thanks for the stories Coalman.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

Dogs are just like family and dogs and kids are a pretty close to being in the same pew at church. I know your loss or pain Coalman and got some fond memories. No hunting dogs but great dogs.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 29 January 2008 - 04:23 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

Your story stirred a memory that lay in a dusty corner of my mind. I once had a beagle named Fritz that pretty much fit right into your story. Thanks for the memory.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

I was 12 when we got a 13" beagle named Kilridge Vixen....Vicky for short. She & I spent countless days afield chasing rabbits & ringnecks. She'd howl on rabbits so you knew to stay posted where you were at until the bunny circled....but she'd yip repeatedly on birds so you knew to keep up to get a shot on the flush. A pup named Silver Spring Spike joined the crew when I was 15 and I loved those little beagles. We harvested more than 50 bunnies a year hunting over those dogs during my high school years. Spike turned up missing a month before hunting sesason when I went away to college and Vicky died at 14 yrs old. My son's beagle just passed away a couple months ago....he was our housedog...I don't think I'll ever have another. Nothing but wonderful memories of those lil buggers !

Edited by Phil, 29 January 2008 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

#6 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

When I was a boy, I think when I was 7, I got my one and only beagle. At the time I lived in Wyoming. It was remote but since there was no one around I was able to run a little wild by today's standards. My dad named the beagle "Jack's Sunshine Banjo", Banjo wasn't one of these trained hunting dogs but with his natural instincts and my dads 22 mag(shotguns were to big for me)we hunted cottontails for hours and hours. For most parts the rabbits were never in any real danger but there were times that we got lucky

Now I have labs that I train and hunt with. I know that dogs I hunt with become so intune with what I am thinking it is almost as if they are mind readers. I have found myself have full blown conversations with my dogs as we sit in the blind or as we are training and if I pay close enough attention their body language is talking back.

Cool thread Coleman and your right house pets do make great hunting partners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users