Scales

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

i'm in the process of setting up my reloading stuff again. ( this is a good thing )

while setting stuff up, a box fell off a shelf and landed on my scale ( this is an :doh: )

lifted up the box and found my scale split in 1/2 ( this is a double :doh: :doh: )

so started looking and figured, turn a bad thing into a good and up grade to a nice electronic scale....

So any brands or models that anyone would suggest. I've read and gone over tons of reviews and not finding one that is really standing out.

so those who know...care to share some insite...
thanks
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

Bruce I have an electronic scale. This is the second electronic scale. My first one was the low end scale from Hornady. I really liked it and it was very accurate. The LCD started acting up so I contacted Hornady and was instructed to send it back. My model was discontinued but for no cost they sent me a higher priced one. It is a Hornady GS 350 scale. I am a little less than satisfied with this one for several reasons. 1 It does not hold calibration like the first one. It can vary up to 2 tenths of a grain. It is supposed to be accurate to 1 tenth of a grain as are most of the models I have looked at. 2 It only weighs up to 350 grains and for most applications that is just fine but if I were going to buy another one it would weigh up to 500-700 grains then I could weigh lead conicals for my muzzleloader. 3. My first model would work with either a battery or plug in but this model only works with the battery. Several manufacturers make an electronic powder measure with the scales built in and would be real nice except for the price.

An electronic scales work faster than a balance beam scales with no set up time. With an electronic scales it just weighs whatever is set on it whereas the balance beam must be set up and leveled first then move several weights to get the desired weight. Then you must add or remove powder till it balances plus those little weights can be bumped out of position very easily hmm how do I know that.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 29 January 2008 - 01:19 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

I have an RCBS electronic scale and it works fine. I have used it now for over 5 years and have not had a problem with it

turbo

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:32 PM

Bruce, I have the Lyman DPS 1200 II, and I love it. I am just wishing that I had bought one years sooner. It is 100% accurate, as checked by my RCBS 505, and is quick to dispense whatever preprogramed charge that I have selected. By the time I seat my bullet, the next charge has been loaded into the pan, ready for dumping into the prepared case. All of your charges are loaded into the memory, with caliber , bullet weight, and powder choice, and is recalled with the touch of a button. The display is easy to read, even for a blind old bat, like me. You will be a happy camper, when you get yours.They are affected by any breeze that occurs in your loading room.When the furnace lights, the air movement from the vents will cause it to fluctuate, if you don't lower the cover on it. They are that sensitive. Happy loading buddy! Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users