11 replies to this topic

#1 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

With the new flasher, no more fishing fishless holes. I was able to see the fish, see how they react to the lure and above all, catch fish! Caught 50+ gills in about 3-1/2 hours. I did keep 13 nice gills and a rainbow! Anyone else icefishing???

Posted Image
Posted Image
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

No ice here yet to walk on :unsure:

But I know what you mean about catching fish instead of sitting and waiting and not knowing. Great tool :bigthumb: Plus some great fillets EH! :evilgrin:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

Just think those fish will become a flash in the pan too. Congrats on the catch and the new toy.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

Nice fish! I've only been ice fishing 2 times in my life because in the winter we are more geared towards snowmobiling, but I'm going to try to get into it sometime. I've always wondered how flashers worked. What do the different colors and the jumping lights mean as far as the movement fish and lures in the water?
-Eric

#5 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:53 AM

The strongest signal will be RED. A moderate signal, ORANGE. Weak signal, GREEN. Also a small fish has a weaker signal as a fish on the edge of the transmit beam. On the pic the wide red band indicates the bottom, 11'. The orange and green bands next to the wide red band are fish on the bottom. The next thin green line is a fish coming off the bottom to my lure. My lure is indicated like that thin line. The last wider green band masks my lure because a fish(s) has moved very close to my lure. My lure, a thin line, starts to widing and jumping and turn orange or red as a fish is ready to bite! Again I'm new with it but with the repetition of watching it, the interpretation is getting clearer and easier. The best thing is, you see no fish, you don't waste time and move on.
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

Thanks! Sounds like a handy tool!
-Eric

#7 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

since moving to Ohio from Minn I havent been out ice fishing we dont get the ice that they do up there and am leary of when we do get some getting on it even though I see others out rarely (on smaller pond type lakes)
but when in Minn I loved to get out and sit in the "outhouse" for a night or evening and relax it didnt matter if I caught anything or not. my brother has a vexlar and dont know if it was the way he had it set up or didnt know how to use it or what but seems that we were marking fish but had a hard time getting them on the line (I think he had the gain turned up or adjusted wrong)
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

Would'nt flashing fish in the winter out on the ice be potentially damaging to various parts of the human anatomy. :blush: :blush:
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

and I also thought it was illegal Paul
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#10 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

irinman2424, From what I understand to adjust the gain, you lower your lure near the bottom and adjust the gain to the minimum that identifies your lure on the dial. Too much gain makes the signal confusing. Marked fish don't always bite, the same with any fish or season? I experience that too often!
Theodore Roosevelt

#11 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

PA RIDGE RUNNER, It took me a while. I was checking back to figure out what was said??? :huh: I'm just a little slow... :doh: For the record I keep all my anatomy on top of the ice, well dressed and warm! :rolleyes:
Theodore Roosevelt

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hey Monk you just keep fishing and posting pics, I love to eat fresh fish. :)-

Don't let PA get to ya because if he does I'll just go down to his house and :spar: him for you. LOL
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users