3 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

I was under the impression they used BYC 8125 blend and I was right up until last years bows. Someone at Mathews forum brought to my attention so I asked about it and got a reply. Personally I like the 452X materials and I'm glad Mathews thinks so too.

Mark,

Thank you for contacting us with your question. For a couple years now we have been using 452x from BCY. The difference between Zebra Barracuda and Zebra Hybrid is the Barracuda strings go through another very time consuming pre-stretching process here at our facility. Your DXT and Drenalin would be in 452x while your Switchback, if in solid black & white, would be 8125. We have had really good luck with the 452x material so we plan on keeping it awhile. Please email me any time with your questions. Thank you for being such a dedicated Mathews shooter--we really appreciate it.

~Tanya Thurow~

Sales Representative

Zebra Bowstrings

(608) 269-1235-phone

(608) 269-3120-fax

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

The BCY452x is a Vectran blended string. They are initially more stable, no argument from me. But I really don't think they last as long as a pure Dyneema string.

Some folks claim the Dyneemas (852x) strings never stop stretching. I think they eventually settle down. I'm very suspicious that if you don't tie the ends together right when winding the string you'll have issues.

I wind my own strings from Brownell TS+. So far it's been very stable.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

It's not really that new. Zebra's "Tiger Twist" strings (out for several years... discontinued a while ago) were made of 452 (the original... not 452X) clear "back in the day". (But, they were not standard on all bows and they were not prestretched.) My XT came with 452X pre-stretched Barracudas. They definitely did "shoot in" faster. But, they definitely do wear out faster than 8125. (They "fuzz up" pretty quick. Not quite as quickly as the original 452, but still.)

Winner's Choice still builds in 8125 as their standard. (You can request 452X.) I'm not exactly a big fan of WC, but many I know have had good success and stability with them beyond the original Zebra strings made of the same material. I suspect, as Leo eluded to, a lot of it is in how the string is made/finished and to what degree the string is pre-stretched.

Regardless, Mathews/Zebra has definitely stepped up their string department over the last 3 years or so. IMO, their stability/durability is on par with anyone. Now, if they would just work on their end servings (namely served end loops and cam serving separation) they would really have something special. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 wishbone

wishbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

I'd like to know if they tried halo serving on the cables in some of there test.. :pray:
Mathews Bows/Easton Arrows
Shimano Reels/St.Croix Rods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users