• 133 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

Do you prefer a drop away, prong or wisker bisket. and why

#2 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:54 AM

Fall-away. My rest of choice is the Mathews Micro Rest.

I won't comment on the WB. :wacko: ;)

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

Muzzy Zero-Effect because it works.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

I wish I could access some of the old replies on this one...lots of good information had been typed up by diffrent people. .... in anycase.

1, my choice is the fall away rest. There is only that split second that torque on the bow would actually effect the arrow flight. ( if you torque your bow )

the arrow is allowed to flex naturaly and fall into its flight path thus giving you better accuracy. You get better speed, since there is very limitied drag from the rest being in contact.

now the prong rest is a good rest. you get the drag down the length of the arrow as it is released, and you have issues if you use off set or helical vanes.

the WB. lots of people love them, lots of people here love them but I am not one of those people. I can say that because I've owned 2 WB rests.
first one, I could get my groupings close but not dead on. the vanes took a beating going through it and there was loss of arrow speed . In a matter of a month or so, my groupings opened up WIDE. no apparent reason...till I changed out the disk. the orgianal had apparently worn out and what seemed to be over night I went from 3 inch groups to 9 inch groups.
once the disk was replaced the groups came back in, but now it was re tune the bow. month later when that disk wore out I went back to a prong rest.

I was told, by many on the forums who LOVE the WB that I there was a new one. ya gotta try that one. Ok give it a shot, purchased it and same thing. it came off and a Copper Johns Alley Cat when on. I've had the Alley Cat on 3 diffrent bows now and love it.

the only advantage the WB really gives you, is the arrow can't fall off the rest.
if you are in a tree stand, you can nock and arrow and hang your bow, and wait for the deer to come in. Pick up your bow and your ready to go....arrow won't fall off. Its up to each person what trade offs they are willing to make. Personaly I don't like my arrows going through the disks and the drag on the vanes. Practicing with a fall way, and keeping the arrow on the rest isn't that big of a deal, so I can't justify the bennifits that the WB gives for what the draw backs are.
others feel the other way :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

I have the rip cord fall away rest on my two bows and they work great. I shoot alot throughout the month and they see alot of use and haven't given me a bit of problems. You can adjusted them very quickly too.

I'd like to try the Muzzy zero effect next generation rest on my next one because others have highly recommended it. I would guess the muzzy rest is fairly quiet too compared to the fall away hits the bows shelf making some noise. But I'd put the rip cord on again without hesitation.

My .02
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

Whisker Busciut :D I don't know much about other rests and my money is going a little short so I guess we'll have to stay with the good 'ol WB :D

Run
-Eric

#7 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

I can't really coment on the drop aways as I have never owned one. They say and it makes sense, the the drop away is more forgiving. I put a whisker biscuit on my bow when I bought it and have never found a reason to change. Never had a problem getting good groups with my W.B. unless I wasn't shooting well that day. My vanes hold up really well with it too! If you want to stalk with your bow and arrow on the rest(some consider this unsafe and I agree it isn't for every terrain) then the W.B. is the best. There is little to no tuning with the W.B. which keeps things simple for my feeble mind :D

However, there are plenty out there that absolutely hate them.

Edited by tdl12321, 26 April 2006 - 09:03 PM.

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:08 PM

My choice is a drop away rest. I have had a Muzzy Zerro Effect on my bow since It came out. I have changed this rest to 3 different bows. It has never failed me yet and that is in good, bad and ugly weather. They are easy to adjust and are the quietest rest on the market.

MD

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:58 AM

I've shot all 3, i'm currently shooting a fall away, it's a cheap one, but as soon as i have the $$$ i'm gonna replace it with a drop zone brand fall away. The whisker biscuit is a good rest, the problem of vane wear and drag can be solved by switching to blazer style vanes, they last longer, and they (in my opinion) steer the arrow better than the longer thinner vanes. when i first got my current bow it came with a WB... i got it during the week, then tuned and test fired it through the week, got out the first weekend and shot my very first robin hood.... as for the prong style, they're about as basic as you can get... if you want something simple to start out with there's nothing better... they're light, easy to tune, and you have no moving parts to time like with a fall away.
Semper Fi

#10 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

I had a drop zone and it was very noisy. And if the arrow does not pull back just right, it will fall off the rest.

MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users