• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gordon

Gordon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:53 AM

I am just wondering If anyone could give a suggestion on what rifle you would pick for white tail hunting out of a tree stand with ranges far as you can see?

I want something that will reach out as far as posible and strike effectively. I am considering the Thompson Center 300 mag? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:54 AM

300 mag is a lot of firepower for Whitetails. Its a great caliber but personally I believe the 300 mag to be "overkill" in the deer sized game catagory....especially for hunting out of a tree stand . A few members here use 7mm mag with great results. If you're really looking for a flat shooting caliber that won't knock your shoulder off each time you pull the trigger I'd consider a 25-06, 270 short mag, 280 rem.
See if you can find someone who has the Thompson in that caliber and see if you can shoot a few shots with it before settling on one. Good Luck no matter which caliber you decide on! :bigthumb: ....and welcome to the boards!!!
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

First of all Welcome to our site. As my good friend Phil has already said the 300 win mag may be fine but is getting into the calibers that can give as well as get. Now if you are contemplating a future trip to hunt elk or the like and can afford only one rifle now then it may be a good choice but you must be willing to put up with increased recoil. I personally have a 7mm mag and have no problem shooting out to 300 yds or more.
To shoot at those distances is as much the person holding the rifle as it is the rifle. Yes the rifle must be capable of good accuracy and energy but to hit at those loooong ranges is a function of the shooter. My daughter once killed an oryx, an african gembok, with a 257 rbts using +p loads at 300 yds. Whatever caliber you choose you also must be willing to practice, practice, practice at long range to be able to hit consistantly. Hitting a target at those distances isn't just holding higher because wind becomes a big factor and is most difficult to figure.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

A 25-06 with a 100gr bullet has virtually identical trajectory to a 300RemingtonUltraMag with a 180gr bullet.

The 25-06 won't kick your teeth in either. Plenty of oomph in that cartridge to take game as far as you can consistently hit.

The big 300 will offer you no long range advantage on deer. Close range, the big 300 is the bang/flop choice. But you won't discern much difference in performance on the 25-06.

If bigger than deer are a possibility. I'd say the 280REM is the best compromise. 140gr bullets less than 1inch different in trajectory from the 300 or 25-06 out to 500yds. 7mm(280) bullets tend to be very resistant to wind drift.

Edited by Leo, 07 February 2008 - 09:51 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

weatherby in .308 or 30'06. Ammo isnt as expensive. Its a proven cartridge that snipers have used to great success and the ballistic drop charts are easy to find.

#6 Troy

Troy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

I would agree with Leo. I tend to think that the 300 or 308 would be too much gun. Don't get me wrong, big gun cool...grunt grunt. If you are specifically hunting for white tail, your talking about no more than 200-500 lbs of energy necessary to make a solid kill. The 25-06 with 100g has plenty of energy out to about 500 yards. If your shooting further than that, your looking for a different forum. The 300 with a 200g bullet taking a shot to the shoulder on a white tail would quite possible reduce your available steaks and give you more ground meat.
Other rounds to consider would be a 260 or 270. If you want to up your ballistics at distance you could also consider the 270 wsm. Last year, a friend took a fair sized mule deer at 930 yards with a standard 270. The animal to two steps and dropped. Granted he is a heck of a shot. These rounds are capable of penetrating big bones at 500 yards depending on the quality of your bullet. Though I might hesitate or change impact locations at 500 yards on a bull elk or moose with a 140g bullet these rounds would serve you well for most of the big game available in North America as well. Options are good.
If you are planning on heading to Africa.....well, you have enough money to own a second or third gun.
Troy

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Welcome Troy,

The 280REM would be adequate for most plains game species in Africa. A little light for Kudu or Eland but it would get the job done, with good bullets and proper shot placement. A friend hunting there same time as me took a Zebra and an Eland with a 7x57 Mauser. This caliber is somewhat less than the 280Rem but quite functional. Zebra are notoriously tough customers. Eland are as big as moose.

As far as the expense to go to Africa. Let me assure you. It's not the "rich mans game" or "if I win the lottery" anymore.
Posted Image

#8 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

Well I am very late on this post but I disagree and would get the 300WM not the 300UltraMag as I don't think the recoil is as bad as I have been told. I have a friend who shoots the 7MAg and I believe that it kicks harder than my 300WM. The most important thing is to find a rifle that fits you and is comfortable. It shoulder almost be aimed and not have to hunt for the target through the scope. A rifle that fits you will have less felt recoil than one that doesn't. I know one does not need a 300 to kill a deer but a few of us just want to use one . Rifle fit is more important than caliber. Don't try just one rifle of any brand as all stocks can be just a little differant from one of the same gun yet reduce or increase felt recoil. I have bought a 30-06 that might replace the 300 as my main deer rifle I don't know yet but it sure seems to group very well I will see when I finally decide on a load and bullet.I also have the 300UltraMag and the guys that I hunt with say it has less felt recoil that one fellows Browning 338WM but my rifle weighs more that 11lbs and would not be fun lugging around the woods. I would let the comfort of the rifle "if it fits you it will be more comfortable than one that doesn,t" pick the caliber.
MR300WM

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Goo words Joe. I was recently to a really fun afternoon with some realtree guys known as "Off The Porch Gang. These guys are real magnumits. Their slogan is if bigger is better much bigger is a lot better. While there I had the opportunity to fire several shots from A 300 Rum and a 300 Weatherby mag. Yes they do kick but I found it was tolerable and I for one have never felt much recoil when wacking game. I did turn down the opportunity to fire the venerable old 416 Rigby only because it was strickly a right handed rifle and I shoot lefty. That rifle was a TC but not sure what model it was. My other reason for not firing the 416 was the cartridges cost $10 apiece. Can't wait till next time when I may have the opportunity to send a 50 BMG 750 gr bullet downrange. I really do believe as you do that you must have a rifle that fits as this will build confidence and that is what it is all about. The other thng other than power which builds confidence is the rifles accuracy. I don't care how much my 7mm mag kicks as it is a real tack driver with the potential of under moa at 200 yds with a 160 gr bullet.

#10 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

I'm partial to the 7mm Rem Mag with 140gr sierras. As for recoil, LimbSaver pad, 280 or 7mm-08. 300mag is a fine cartridge also. I think a lot of cartridge selection is personal. Thoughout all your research, that one cartridge will get in your blood. That cartridge should be yours. You will shoot more and better, it will build confidence. But that maybe just me... :cool:

Edited by Monk, 01 June 2008 - 03:16 PM.

"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#11 Aleric Odin

Aleric Odin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

I would go with the tried and true 3006 150 gr bullet an in the encore. No whitetail will walk away from that combination under 300 yards. It has been a proven combination in the Wisconsin woods for me for 40 years. I also handload my ammo.

#12 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

First off welcome to the forum. Now for the meat of the question. There have been many calibers mentioned here, and I own every one of them. from .260 to 7mmmag. Each and every one of those calibers have taken their fare share of game, but for sme reason when I go to the gun cabinet to pick out the rifle for deer season I always pick up my .280. Not saying that the rest are not any good just the oppisite. I pick up the .280 because I love the way the gun fits me and its accuracy. From 50 yards to 500 yards I have the confidence that it wil do the job for me not matter the game. So like so many have said pick a gun that fits you first then choose the caliber that you want.

turbo

#13 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

Check out the 264/6.5 calibers as well. Light recoil, high bc bullets, and good velocity all of which you need to reach out there. These are the ones I shoot (6.5-284, 256 newton, 264 win mag and 6.5-06 ackley) and all of them shoot under 1/2 minute.
I am going to build a 280

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

Ooh camo you are after my own heart. the 6.5 - 284 is a very popular 1000 yd competition caliber. I also have to reload most of my own ammo as I too shoot nonstandard or old calibers that ammo isn't made or made anymore. Even my 7mm is a custom wildcat that was made before the 7mm Rem came out.

#15 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

Ooh camo you are after my own heart. the 6.5 - 284 is a very popular 1000 yd competition caliber. I also have to reload most of my own ammo as I too shoot nonstandard or old calibers that ammo isn't made or made anymore. Even my 7mm is a custom wildcat that was made before the 7mm Rem came out.

Is your 7mm a 7mm Sharpe & Hart?
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users