• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

The 6.5-284 was my first custom built gun. This caliber impresses me more every time I shoot it, Its a little more effecient than my 264. The 256 newton really surpprised me Im getting 3200fps with 130 normas.

Still thinking about a 25-284 or a 6mm-284. They both should be great calibers with a little edge to the 6mm for variety in bullets.

#17 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:59 AM

I am a personal fan of the 270 Weatherby magnum, and the 25 06. They both reach out a long way with lots of jam. I also love the 270 Winchester. It too will reach, and is effective on moose and elk as well. As already said, pick whatever feels comfortable, practice lots, and enjoy your new toy. :D

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

Silver No my 7mm is a purely custom 7mm mag. It actually is a Taylor and Robbins 7mm Mag. T&R was a gunsmithing firm back in the 40s and 50s out of Bradford, PA. They took the 300 H&H mag, shortened it and put a little more taper to it. Mine was made in 1961, a year before Rem came out with the Rem 7mm mag. Thing is the two are nearly identical with the T&R having a slightly shorter overall length and a sharper shoulder. I can just cut off about .020 and run a Rem 7mm through my T&R die and viola a 7mm T&R is produced.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#19 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

The sharpe and hart looks like a sweet one.

Sounds like your t&r should keep right with the rem mag with some advantages from the sharper shoulder. What bullets and powder do you like to shoot.

#20 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

Since Gordon has not been around in a long time I do not feel bad pirating his post. That Sharpe and Hart is a good one.
I spoke with Mr Don Robbins a few years ago ( the R in T&R) He assured me that I can use the loads listed for the 7mm mag. I have fired 120, 140, 154 and 160 gr bullets from my T&R mag. The 120s shot well and as I went up the weight list the groups just kept getting better. My current load for the 160 gr is 64 gr of H4831. My first three shots with this combo from a bench at a true 100 yds was about 5/8 inch with two bullet holes touching. At 200 yds I got under moa with about 1 3/4 inch group.

My 160 gr bullets are Nosler partition bullets but just today I picked up a 50 round box of them at over $43.00. OUCH.

#21 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Bullets are going crazy I was buying bergers for $24 a hundred and about the time I was going to buy a thousand they went to $35. Its going to get worse though I believe so Ive stalked up on kegs of powder. The bergers sure do shoot well though.

#22 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

Although I know about Berger Bullets I have never seen or tried any. I have a bit of powder stocked up too. Of course even with the cost of reloading components it is still a savings over factory ammo. I shoo a lot of 22 cal bullets but can cold swage jacketed ammo for that. I have 3 222 Rems and four 219 Donaldson Wasp bench rest guns.

#23 camoclown

camoclown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

You would be impressed with the bergers, sierra match kings, and with the price of bergers I bought a thousand 130 normas that show alot of promise in my 6.5s.

I started another topic about customs cause I felt bad for getting a little off the subject. Put your 2 cents in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users