Just Need To Vent...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:53 AM

I would say that I have been fair and really given Windows Vista a thorough testing over the past few months. I'm running it on a good system. I've even upgraded and given it 2 Gigs of RAM to play on...

But, at the end of the day, Windows Vista is crap.

It is pretty to look at and I do like the improved search capabilities. I would also have to say that it doesn't seem to crash too often. (It just doesn't work, but doesn't bother to lock up. :lol: ) After that it's really all heartache.

Let's see... After finally setting up the home network / file sharing last week the Internet connection lags to connect. This lag causes the entire to computer to lag on start up because it is waiting for an Internet connection before loading the Vista sidebar which has a weather feature that draws a live forecast from... the Internet! Every time I check in on things to see if anything can be tweaked/fixed the new network manager keeps resetting itself to turn off network detection. (When it does work, network transfer is slow.) I have searched this problem out and have found this is simply an issue within Vista that currently has no fix as it is actually not a bug, but how Microsoft purposely designed this OS to act. You see, they have basically sold out to multimedia function. (Even worse is that most of it is built around Media Player which is why it is now an integral part of the Windows OS instead of being a standalone app.) Even cursor performance has been placed lower on the totem than multimedia performance. (Eric, this is why you and I notice cursor lock up from time to time. Indeed it is simply a "Windows Vista thing". <_< ) Here are a couple interesting reads on the subject... ZDNet Article Microsoft Article

All of that mess is caused by just one error in judgment made with this OS! Another, and probably my "favorite", is the built in "security feature" on compressed/zip files. When you download a compressed file to your computer it is automatically "blocked" for safety. You can access it, but if you want the warnings to go away you have to right-click on it and then click the new "Unblock" button at the bottom of the display to let Vista know it's a "safe" file. (Okay, fair enough I suppose. It may be a useful thing to protect some truly novice users.) Unfortunately, even once "Unblocked", zip files still take FOREVER to extract in Vista. I had to install 7-Zip (a 3rd party compression tool) just to be able to get any work done in a reasonable amount of time. Ridiculous!

Frankly, I don't have the heart/time to go into other issues now. (Maybe we could make it a weekly series. :roflmao: :cry: )

My brief assessment: DO NOT "upgrade" to Windows Vista from Windows XP until the first Service Pack update is available. (Vista Service Pack 1) SP1 is supposed to fix a lot of these issues. Of course, it was supposed to have been out by now, but, hey, we paying customers can afford to, in essence, beta test for Microsoft a little while longer. It's not like we should ever expect proper function in a work environment (or, apparently, even in a home environment) using anything newer than an 8 year old OS. :angry:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

:hug:

Hope that made ya feel better buddy.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Sorry Jer,

I had a feeling Vista was most likely to become another ME.

Even though XP was an ENORMOUS improvement over ME (not hard) it really didn't IMHO become very reliable until SP2. And honestly the first SP2s were flaky.
Posted Image

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

:hug: :hug:

OK, a group hug it is!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

If its any consolation to ya... I got yelled at by a lady last night (Im a csr for the local cable co.) she had heard our phone has free caller id and she had our tv service. I told her that she'd need our phone service since she didnt have it & quoted her the monthly rate with the phone. she proceeded to yell at me that I should still give her free caller id as she already pays to much for cable despite not having our telephone service. She didnt want to switch to our phone just the free caller id service. After kindly explaining you cant get our caller id if you dont have our phone she went off about how theres to many commercials and how theres nothing ever on tv before hanging up on me.

Just an fyi.... Your local cable companies sole purpose is to take a tv networks signal and carry it to your home. We have no control over content or commercials. Customers dont like to hear it and say we're just passing the buck. Which isnt true. I never pass a buck unless its not in season or doesnt meet the minimum point restrictions.

Edited by Whitetiger, 21 February 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#6 Leep

Leep

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:53 PM

I have so many friends that are sick because they went to Vista.
I'k staying with XP Pro, much faster and reliable and Vista is just too bloated and convoluted..
IMO... :D

Leep:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users