5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

I was just coming in from shooting my Knight Wolverine and about frozen to death, when I spotted the UPS man in the front yard. He simply waved as I approached. I noted the man also had his usual dog cookie to bribe my black Labrador that looks forward to visits from him. (which is one reason I keep buying rifles, so the UPS man will show up and give the dog a cookie)

I then told him that when he delivers long boxes like this to me, he needs to get here earlier in the day. He just laughed and said, "Another rifle I bet." And handed me my package. I then walked into the house and got out the cleaning supplies. Since I had two Knight rifles to clean. The Wolverine cleaned up very easy.

The new rifle is a Knight Disc Extreme. It is a .50 caliber. Black Composite stock. 28 inch stainless steel fluted barrel. The reason I bought this is the barrels were made for the Knight Master Hunter and are the 'Cryogenically Accurized' Green Mountain Rifle Barrel, along with the fully adjustable Timney trigger. It is a real beauty. There was a store that had too good of a sale on these rifles and I could not pass it up.

I then threw in the DVD and watched it as I cleaned the rifles. It is a lot easier to clean the Extreme then my Knight Disc. The old model Knight Disc required a C-tool where as this one does not. So I cleaned the rifle up and considered another trip to the range today, but decided to load up a number of the red primer jackets instead.

The trigger broke clean at just under #4 pounds. Since it is scaled and not a digital measure device I use, I could guess around #3.8 pounds. That is more then acceptable. The barrel to stock fit is perfect. I could not have asked for better. Everything was tight on the rifle like the sights, and thimbles. So other then holding it and shouldering it, which by the way it shoulders perfect for me. this does not seem like a heavy rifle. According to my scale, with a full leather sling it weighed in at #7 pounds. It sure did not seem that heavy when shouldered.

So tomorrow I guess I am doomed to go to the range again, and try this one out. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

Doomed to the range, LOL I wish I had that problem, :doh:
I'll just keep working and looking at your pics. LOL
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Eric and my Bighorns sport the timiny triggers I did lighen mine up just a tad and it is one sweet trigger. Sure hope your Disc extreme lives up to your expectations. I know my bighorn hails back to a bit simpler time but the way it shoots I am not ready to trade it for another model.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Posted Image

I had to be nuts I told myself, but I could not look at that rifle sitting there and not being shot. So I bundled up and went to the range anyway. It was cold out there. In my hurry I grabbed the wrong spray bottle for swabbing. I grabbed some window cleaner instead of my 50/50 mix. Now how cold was it?? In fact it was so cold, the bottle of window spray after fifteen minutes, the sprayer froze shut and could not work. So I hauled that back to the house and set it by the wood stove, and brought out a bottle of straight isopropyl alcohol. I figured that would not freeze. Even though my fingers and toes were trying to.

I took out some .452 300 grain XTP's and some 300 grain Shockwaves. I also took out three different kinds of sabots. Some harvester short petal and some long petal, and then some crushed rib in case it loaded hard. Shot #1 in the A group was on a clean barrel. I was a little surprised as I was holding on the blue X and figured it would have hit the plate. So I swabbed and shot the other three, swabbing between shots. (this is where the window sprayer froze).

I then swabbed extra good and shot group B. I was surprised that they shot a little higher with the Pyrodex P. I did not really expect them to do that, to be real honest...

I swabbed again and this time loaded 120 grains of Pyrodex P and a shockwave and shot the first shot. It too was somewhat with the group B. So to test my theory, I aimed the second time for the top of the white paper plate and shot the second shot.

I thought about taking my gloves off and adjusting the sights, but my nose was running like a cheap Wal Mart faucet, my fingers were a little cold, and my big toe was just plain numb. I decided I had enough for the day. I was only out about an hour or maybe a little longer. Maybe when it warms up I can play some more. It was -23 below last night and is supposed to get colder tonight. So we will see what tomorrow brings.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:22 AM

Sounds like a great day. I gotta get up to the range and play too, in the near future. I'm going through withdrawls.

#6 shooter5357

shooter5357

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

Posted Image

I was just coming in from shooting my Knight Wolverine and about frozen to death, when I spotted the UPS man in the front yard. He simply waved as I approached. I noted the man also had his usual dog cookie to bribe my black Labrador that looks forward to visits from him. (which is one reason I keep buying rifles, so the UPS man will show up and give the dog a cookie)

I then told him that when he delivers long boxes like this to me, he needs to get here earlier in the day. He just laughed and said, "Another rifle I bet." And handed me my package. I then walked into the house and got out the cleaning supplies. Since I had two Knight rifles to clean. The Wolverine cleaned up very easy.

The new rifle is a Knight Disc Extreme. It is a .50 caliber. Black Composite stock. 28 inch stainless steel fluted barrel. The reason I bought this is the barrels were made for the Knight Master Hunter and are the 'Cryogenically Accurized' Green Mountain Rifle Barrel, along with the fully adjustable Timney trigger. It is a real beauty. There was a store that had too good of a sale on these rifles and I could not pass it up.

I then threw in the DVD and watched it as I cleaned the rifles. It is a lot easier to clean the Extreme then my Knight Disc. The old model Knight Disc required a C-tool where as this one does not. So I cleaned the rifle up and considered another trip to the range today, but decided to load up a number of the red primer jackets instead.

The trigger broke clean at just under #4 pounds. Since it is scaled and not a digital measure device I use, I could guess around #3.8 pounds. That is more then acceptable. The barrel to stock fit is perfect. I could not have asked for better. Everything was tight on the rifle like the sights, and thimbles. So other then holding it and shouldering it, which by the way it shoulders perfect for me. this does not seem like a heavy rifle. According to my scale, with a full leather sling it weighed in at #7 pounds. It sure did not seem that heavy when shouldered.

So tomorrow I guess I am doomed to go to the range again, and try this one out. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I also have one of the Knight disc extreme rifles that you spoke of. I live in Wisconsin and bought it from a store in northern WI. Is this the same place you bought yours.Theye told me that it was a special close out as Knight was reducing the stock they had on hand and made these special order. What types of groups have you been able to get, I ask this because I also have a bighorn 22" and it will out shoot the Dics rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users