Old Fishing Holes Never Die.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

Grab a life vest and come for the ride.

This post goes way back. A buddy and I did a lot of striper fishing in the Merrimack River in the early 1990's. The first time I fished an "all nighter" I got stopped by the police on my way home. They asked me if I was me and I said yes. Seems my dad was concerned and had called. It is good to be missed. :D

We did really well in our early days. Schoolies were everywhere. But we soon tired of pulling in 5-10 pound bass with 20 lb test. We started to target big fish. Many nights were spent learning how. We perfected our gill nets and live wells and started live lining pogies and herring. The keepers soon followed.

I had always heard September was the best month for cow stripers. My buddy is a bow hunter, I am not. He went bow hunting. I went striper hunting. My wife had used the boat at a camp we leased on a lake the week before. I had taken all the utensils of a striper fisherman out of the boat.. It wasn't till I had the fish on I realized I had no net or gaff.

I owe a debt of gratitude to two other striper fishermen out there that night. As they trolled by me I hollered over and asked for help. They came along side and one of the fisherman got into my boat with the gaff. (Legal then.) The fish went around a mooring ball. They expertly guided me off it. As I was reeling in the fish I remember telling the other captain this must be at least a 30 pounder. He said "Son I think it is bigger than that"

Up until the year 2007 I always had the lead on my buddy with my 49.5" 41 pound striped bass. Live eel incoming tide. Location; on the flats.

Posted Image

Forward fast to the summer of 2007. These fish all came from the fishing hole.

Coalman

Posted Image

35 lbs
Posted Image

32 lbs
Posted Image

My last cow of the summer. Look at the vent. Nasty wound. We figure a seal. 27 lbs
Posted Image

Edited by Coalman, 06 March 2008 - 06:53 PM.

Your eye in the northeast sky.

#2 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Captain Danny

Daybreak July 4, 2007 34 lb twins
Posted Image

Somewhere around 2 AM
Posted Image

Somewhere around 3 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Coalman, 06 March 2008 - 06:50 PM.

#3 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

The fishing hole produced the top three bass in the local sports shop striper fishing contest. First time anybody took all three places. I am in fourth now. He raised the bar to 49 lbs.

Posted Image

I still have to beat his 45 pounder.

Posted Image

Never mind the 42 pounder.

Posted Image

But Captain Danny showed what potential the fishing hole still has with one of his sports who landed all 52 pounds of this striped bass. Old fishing holes never die. :D

Posted Image

We are not commercial fisherman. We throw most of the fish back. We make no excuses for what we keep. I call Danny captain because it is his boat.

We are just a few guys who love to drown eels on the flats chasing monster stripers.

Thanks for coming.

Coalman :boone:

Edited by Coalman, 06 March 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

Great pictures and story. Thanks Coalman!
-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

Wow those are some awesome stripers. Thanks for the pics.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:07 AM

:clap: :clap: yeah you got my blood boiling. I'll go drown live eels any day with you guys. Thanks Coalman for sharing the secret fishing hole. :D
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

Those are some bruiser "Rockfish". And yes, for those who have never had the pleasure, they are as much fun to catch as they look.

I can't seem to break the 20lb mark. I've caught plenty of the landlocked ones. But I've haven't chased them in several years now.

Used to be one of my favorite pursuits. Stripers on top water lures, leave boils like someone dropped a cinderblock out of an airplane.

Big game fishing at it's finest!
Posted Image

#8 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

Them are some NICE stripers!!!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users