6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Posted Image

I accidentally bought another rifle today. It was in an auction. The price they were asking was too low, so I put a bid in, and low and behold I got a email telling me it was my lucky day. It's a .50 caliber T/C Pennsylvania Hunter. It has a 32" barrel and single trigger. Just one of them things that seem to happen to me. I talked to the seller already, and it will be on the little brown truck Monday. Good thing I do not have to answer to anyone. Posted ImagePosted Image Kind of a nice looking rifle I think. And I actually do not have that model.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Sweeeeet. You will have to try it out on a gopher! :)

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

Cool looks like it should fit right into your ever expanding stable without much infighting amungst the ones already there.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

We are going to have to kick an old model out to the back room gun cabinet to make this one fit in the wall, but that's ok.. I always wanted one of these but never made the move on one.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Posted Image

The UPS man showed up today with a long box. So of course I was excited that my Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter .50 caliber rifle was here. I opened it and checked the rifle over. It was in very good shape. The stock showed marks that rifles get when you use them in the woods, but other then that there was no surface rust. I then cleaned the bore. It was dirty. Like it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time. There was some dark black stuff in the bore which I suspect to be some kind of packing grease. I finally got all of that out. Nasty stuff too. I had to take J-B Bore Paste to get it out of the bore.

I then decided to see if the thing would shoot. So with a nice clean barrel I loaded 90 grains of Graf's & Son's 2f black powder. I forgot the moose milk for the patches out at the bench but did have a container of some home made Castor oil lube I had made but never tested. So I figured this was as good a time as any. I lubed up some pillow tick and loaded a Hornady .490 roundball. I was using Dynamite Noble RWS 1075 caps.

I was at 50 yards. It was windy. The temperature was about 39 degrees and it was trying to snow or rain. It just could not make up its mind. Looking at the rear sight, I noted it was low on the base so I figured it would shoot low. I took a full bead on the bulls eye and fired shot number one on the clean barrel. It hit high and right. So for shots #2 through #6 I took a six o'clock hold on the bull. It shot to the right but other wise was doing pretty good. So to test the sights, I aimed to the left of the bull expecting it to hit the bull. Well this time it hit right where it was aimed.

The blue X's were from some other shooting and were not made by this rifle. For a first time out, I was kind of happy with the rifle. A little load development and this will be a good shooter..

Posted Image

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

Nice , very nice. I love the old trad Hawken looking rifles. They seem so real. So non-tehnical. Seeing yours makes me renew interst in my own. COngrats.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Congrats!! Just something about those style rifles that speak history to you. Enjoy the great fun with the new tool.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users