• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

I know I have done that on occasion with both modern and muzzleloading firearms especially when hunting in bad weather. I always wondered if that tape had any effect at all on performance. I was reading my March 2008 American Hunter Mag and lo and behold on page 71 there is some data on modern rifles and a muzzleloader as to their performance with and without tape over the muzzle.

With the muzzleloader they do not give any accuracy stats but average pressure for the taped barrel was 13,760 and the untaped shots averaged 13,980 which was a bit surprising.

With the several modern rifles the taped muzzles gave an average of 220 diff in psi. In six of the seven rifles the taped barrels were actually more accurate. Point of impact was affected but not significant at hunting distances.

So now we all know.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

I cut the finger out of a latex surgical glove and use that. It has never seemed to affect my accuracy and definitly keeps my bore clean. The woods are pretty thick around here so when I used to sling my rifles muzzle up, I was always dumping twigs, pine needles, etc. out of my bore at the end of the day. Now I sling muzzle down and have, on occasion, had to clean snow, dirt, etc. out of the muzzle. Now, with the glove finger over the muzzle, no more problems. I have always heard/read that anything covering the muzzle is long gone before the bullet gets that far and I just figured that snow, dirt, pine needles, twigs, etc. will affect my accuracy a whole lot more than a piece of latex covering the muzzle.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

I have seen that tip given on several shows putting some electrical tape over the end of the barrell. One more thing for the pack. I got too much stuff in there now :mellow:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

Use a condom. They work great.

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

:rolleyes: Fred I was thinking the same thing and actually had a post ready saying "AND FOR THE SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO ARENT GETTING USE OUTA THAT PACKAGE IN YOUR WALLET" then decided against it :zipped:
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

Some folks use what are called finger cots that they buy at a drug store. The cots are actually designed to put over a finger that is injured folks say they do very well. I have even heard of using small balloons.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

I use electrical tape. Always did the job for me. I even go as far as to carry a few birthday candles with me. Just a drop of melted wax around the edges of the cap on the nipple and it's good and waterproof too. When hunting with a flintlock, I use to seal the frizzen pan that way too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users