Coalman's 2008 Turkey Hunting Diary

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

Please come along from pre season scouting to the actual hunts. I am glad to have you with me.

A whole year has gone by. Where does the time go? If I look forward to any hunting season of the year it is for turkey. This year has started out on the same note as the last. I asked a friend for some help about woods I have visited before but never had time to explore. We traded maps and discussed the lay of the land.

Saturday I used that knowledge to execute a plan. I climbed the mountain for a hardwood look, see. I was not disappointed. I made this spot mission #1. I will be hounding this hill when the snow melts. The long point on the right is east facing. Find the land....... the turkey will come.

Just right.

Posted Image

This mountain range is surrounded by brood habitat.

Posted Image

A brook runs down this hollow ....................

Posted Image

It merges with these fields which will be Mission #2.

Posted Image

The views were spectacular. The wind chill was not. I didn't stay too long.

I think this is Mt Monadnock.

Posted Image

And this the Presidential Range. I could see a hundred miles.

Posted Image

Mountains are like magnets to me. Special things happen in hardwood hollows on humid spring mornings. I can see myself standing in the same spot and listening for the first gobble during a pre season scouting trip.

They need to give away those roost areas. When they do I study the maps and find the easiest access. The next scouting trip I need to know how far a hike it is to get to the best calling area ie. open hardwoods. I need to find a place where I can hear the most real estate. I time the hike in.

If I get there and a turkey gobbles I taunt him with hoots and crow calls.

I do not make any turkey noises. I listen.

I make them tell me where they are. I will try and get close without saying a thing. Let him show me what he likes to do.

My advice when you are scouting and there is sign but the birds are not to be found? Stay with it. Trust your area. Twice I have had thunder reveal a gobblers location.

I love to hunt, fish and trap. Family aside my heart belongs to the mountains but I rest my soul in the turkey woods.

The fun has begun. Posted Image
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

I'm with ya Coalman, I'm with ya. :bigthumb:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

Awesome Pics!
Love hunting mountains for turkeys much more than farmland birds....but they're all exciting to hunt.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:50 AM

Coalman your pics could just as easily have been taken right here in PA. It takes no Imagination at all to see PA in those shots. I am sure that Phil, Charles, Woodhick, Eric, Jgabel and others would agree. I have been to CT and RI when I was in the Air National Guard but have never taken the opportunity to see the rest of New England. Having heard of how beautiful it is in the fall I think I should consider such a trip.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

How very interesting. The habitats we both hunt are literally opposite. No mountains just flat flat and more flat. Add to that stuff that's so thick Tarzan would say the heck with this!

Goes to show how flexible a turkey can be.
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

You got me Coalman. Great story and some down right beautiful mountains. Thanks for sharing that here, very enjoyable and does get the blood steaming to get back out in the woods this spring.

I haven't been up NorEast in your neck of the country before but I'm a hankering to travel there now.

I'm going to push myself back out to do the turkey hunting this spring. Hopefully all with a bow.

While I'm at it hows the black bear hunting in those there woods?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

Awesome pictures Coalman! I would love to be there.
-Eric

#8 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

I live about 10 miles from the ocean in NH. We see and hear about an occasional bear every spring and fall. My boss has had them raid his bird feeder about this time of year. He actually saw it. Said it was small. Probably a two year old. But bear in my area are very uncommon.
Now about these woods, different story. These woods are 35 miles from my doorstep to parking spot. Black bear are very common here.

You had to remind me. :wacko: I treat black bear the same way as bees and snakes. I leave them alone. I pray they leave me alone. :yes:

#9 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

"Go south my friend to the no snow zone" is what I was thinking the other night trying to think of a place where my boots would touch leaves and no snow. I recalled a class six road in a town along the border with our MA neighbors. 100 feet into my journey and the road was littered with turkey scratchings.

The last time I was here was 10 years ago. It was mildly posted back then. Now it looks like the land owners have all bought stock in a posted sign company. I counted 4 different landowners to the left of the road.
After you get by the wildlife sanctuary on the right side of the road the woods looks hunt-able. But it would only be a tease. The prime habitat is in the posted land.

I've seen a ton of posted signs in my day. This one was unique, almost Wizard of Oz type laughable. :lol:
Posted Image

There is a ton of history in this piece. The oldest signature is 1944.
Posted Image

#10 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

Jeremiah invited me to keep track of my outings in a Field Journal. That is why I have not been updating this thread. And instead of just turkey hunting you can follow along with me in my everyday life as a sportsman. I would be glad to have you along. Posted Image
Thanks for coming,
Coalman
http://forums.huntin...h...og&blogid=8&

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users