Handheld Devices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

Just got done setting up my new Palm TX and I've got to say that if I had it to do all over again I'm not sure I would have bought it. Nothing was compatible with Windows Vista. (Shocking, I know.) Only one or two of the software titles are actually Palm software. The rest are third party. So, after (foolishly - I admit) installing everything from the disk that came with the PDA, I got to spend a bit of time tracking down updates for everything that actually work in Vista. Naturally, after doing all of this I start getting errors within Windows itself because, apparently, the upgrade to Palm Desktop was not happy.

I ended up rolling my entire laptop back pre-disk install (System Restore) and starting from scratch with the "updated Vista Compatible" software. (One of which, "Documents to Go" - third party software) still needs to be run in Win XP compatibility mode. :wacko:

I think I might have actually enjoyed using this thing for all of 30 seconds today. (I had to check out Solitaire. :rolleyes: ) I still can't get wireless HotSync to work! But, I'm okay... At least the device itself is sort of working. I got some of my Bible study software installed on it (the main reason I bought the device) and it looks good which made me smile.

Well, just needed to vent. Good night!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Things always seem more clear in the light of day. :lol:

I was able to get just about everything righted today. Of course, most of the problems were with my notebook needing to be cleaned thanks to the software fiasco. (Thank goodness for CCleaner!)

All told, pretty cool! I think I'd rather have an iPod Touch, but it doesn't yet have a reasonable Bible software app.

sig_admin.png

#3 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

One word: Blackberry.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

One word: Blackberry.

Nope. No "smartphones". I needed a stand alone PDA.

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

I bet this guy knows the answer. I wouldn't argue with him anyhow.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:56 AM

So THAT'S who I always talk to any time I call tech support.
(No wonder he's always so hard to understand. :blink: )

Well, at this point I think it's just about all hammered out.
(Figuratively, thankfully, not literally. :lol: )

The Palm device is happy. The notebook is happy. Jeremiah is happy!
Let's see, so far I have all my important documents, a handful of favorite songs (just 'cause I don't have more than a handful of favorite songs :) ), a full audio Bible, Chess, Earthcomber Maps/Directions, and OliveTree Bible Reader going well. (Pocket Tunes, the Palm mp3 software works very well. Turns the center controls of the TX into an Apple "click wheel" for stylus free operation, has sortable playlists, and the deluxe version even supports protected m4p/aac/wma etc.)

Surfing the Internet with it is a bit rough. (I guess I was delusional to think the browser would zoom and pan the way iSafari does in the iPhone commercials. I did try OperaMini browser and it DID zoom and pan like that, but there were a few web pages I visit frequently that didn't display correctly within it, so I uninstalled it. :( )

Oh well... All told I basically have everything that is "important" :rolleyes: from my laptop in the palm of my hand and that's what I was looking for. (I use prepaid wireless phone service and I am more than pleased with it... hence no "smartphones".)

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users