• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pastorjody

pastorjody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:15 AM

I just bought a .44 cap and ball revolver and am interested in hunting whitetail deer with it. Is it effective? Loads?

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

I also have one but in Ohio and Minnesota they are illegal to hunt with as any muzzleloader must be a single shot and any pistol must shoot from a straight wall cartridge so I would check your local regs before trying it as far as powder charge goes I used 30-35 grains was going through a 4 inch tree with it if it clears a 4 inch tree it should go through a deer at a close enough range
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:55 AM

Our state does not allow a muzzleloader handgun to be used either. With respect to using a muzzleloading handgun where permitted I would keep my shots under 30 yards and take only a shot you can't miss.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

Welcome pastorjody! Congratulations on your new purchase. I have a .44 cap & ball too, but only use it for fun time plinking. Out here in the west it's a little underpowered for mule deer and elk.

As the others have said, first check your state's regualtions for the type of game you are hunting and make sure your new pistol is legal to hunt with. Then research and study whatever ballistics you can find on your weapon. That will determine what will be an ethical shot for you in your situation. A .44 cap & ball may not be the best choice for what you are planning to hunt.

Now comes the fun part - practice, practice, practice until you are comfortable and proficient with your gun and confident in your abilities with it.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 pastorjody

pastorjody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I checked and it would be legal to hunt with here in Michigan. I guess my next question would be is it powerful enough to be ethically responsible. I have other (not enough) guns so it is not mandatory that I hunt this gun. I just want to know if it would be a reasonable option.

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

Welcome pastorjody. You didn't specify which cap and ball that you aquired. If it is a Walker Colt, then it has pretty well as much jam as a 44 magnum. I had the privilege of using a friends at the range, and could actually hit a 8" plate at 100 yards with it. Enjoy!

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

I apologize for not giving you a welcome first thing. WELCOME. Did your revolver come with the companies booklet? If so that should give you many ideas on the operation and max loads for your particular revolver. I am also sure that our resident expert Cayugad if we knew your gun will jump in with some great info.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 pastorjody

pastorjody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:30 AM

I'm sorry I haven't described the pistol yet. It is a Colt copy made in Italy. It has a brass frame with a naval scene roll stamped on the cylinder. It has a nice tight smooth action and seems to be very well made. The only markings on it that describe what might be a manufacturer are A.B.M. made in Italy. I have been shooting 25 grains of Pyrodex P in it and it shoots ok, not great. It is not a Walker. Thanks for all the welcomes guys!

I also have a Thompson Center Hawken caplock in 50 caliber with a Green Mountain 28" twist barrel. I have been shooting Powerbelt bullets in that and is very accurate. I have a standard of 90 grains of Goex FF blackpowder that I use for everything in that barrel.

I also load and shoot 8mm mauser, 222 Remington, 7mm mag (Remington), 7.62x54 russian, 300 winchester, 30-30 winchester. The 8mm mauser is my favorite. Been shooting for 40 years now.

#9 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

Hey Jody, I'm with you on the Mauser. A few years back I bought one of those Egyptian surplus K-98's (at the urging of my wife no less :bigthumb: ) and LOVE shooting that thing. Surplus ammo is cheap and there's something about playing Sgt. Shultz on the rifle range that makes it fun. Sometimes I think about doing a little work on it to make it more sporter friendly, but then I come to my senses. I have enough dedicated hunting rifles already (did I really just write that? :zipped: ). Why not own a piece of history (complete with bayonete, military sling, leather bandolier and issue cleaning kit) and just enjoy shooting it for what it is?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#10 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

sounds like the one I have Jody I shoot 30 typically when target shooting and it groups them together better then the 25 or 35 that I have tried Im getting all 6 within 5 inches at 40 and 50 yards. the only drawback to it is that the rear site is on the hammer so no adjustment on it for the sites at all
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

Here in Missouri any caliber over .40 is legal as long as it only fires one shot at a time. The way the regs read are;
METHODS
A MUZZLELOADING OR CAP AND BALL FIREARM .40 CALIBER OR LARGER AND CAPABLE OF FIRING ONLY A SINGLE PROJECTILE AT ONE DISCHARGE.

MULTIPLE BARRELD MUZZLELOADING OR CAP-AND-BALL FIREARMS AND/OR MUZZLELOADING OR CAP-AND-BALL HANDGUNS, INCLUDING REVOLVERS, .40 CALIBER OR LARGER ARE ALLOWED AND MAY BE CARRIED IN ADITION TO MUZZLELOADING OR CAP-AND-BALL RIFLES.

I figure on carrying my Colt 1860 Old Army .44 as a back up or, should I get lucky, for a really close shot. I'd trust it out to 50 yards to drop a deer. I've owned it for years though and know it's limits and have had a lot of practice with it.

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 September 2008 - 07:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users