Opinion On Pellet Choices

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

I bought a TC Pro Hunter a couple weeks ago and finally got the stuff to take a few shots with it the other day. I went with APP's Jim Shockey Gold, because that is what everyone around here shoots.

I shot open sights at a pretty close distance, but the shot great. I did the saturated patch/dry patch after each shot like the DVD suggests and clean up was a breeze. Actually easier than my centerfire rifle. The only negative thing about the JSG powder is that the square edges do "rub" in the barrell and some does rub off. I don't know if it is enough to effect accuracy.

What is your opinion of other pellet choices, like Triple 7. Is clean up pretty easy with those also?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

I have read good reports and bad reports on APP powder. My own experience with the Regular APP in powder form was less than stellar. I also prefer to use the loose powder as it is much less expensive and enables an infinate number of load possibilities.
In my experience APP powder is the least powerful of all the powder possibilities. As long as your rifle uses a 209 shotgun primer for ignition any of the powders will work in your rifle. There are some reports of a hard to remove crud ring (no pun intended) when using the 777 pellets.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:49 AM

Is this "crud ring" around the breech plug? There was some a lot of fouling on the breech plug.

The APP JSG works as advertised, it does clean up easily. But even looking in the bottle, there are a number of pellets that have chips missing from the edges.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

The 777 crud ring forms on the barrel near the botton next to the breach plug. It is hard and hard to remove. I don't recall of APP powder causing any sort of crud ring nor does Pyrodex. I do remember of several comments that when they loaded the APP sticks they too shaved a corner or two. It is tough to fit a square peg in a round hole. You are right that APP is probably the easiest to clean up but is the weakest powder.

#5 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

The 777 crud ring forms on the barrel near the botton next to the breach plug. It is hard and hard to remove. I don't recall of APP powder causing any sort of crud ring nor does Pyrodex.

That is very helpful. Thanks!

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

I have shot a lot of loose APP powder and it shoots good enough. Although it will be working fine and then you suddenly get a flier.

I never shot the JSG sticks. I have read of others shooting them. They suggest to drop the sticks down the bore, then push your ramrod down there and crush the sticks. After that seat your projectile, and they suggest seating it good and solid. Some powders you simply seat the projectile, but from what I have read, with APP and JSG to FIRMLY seat the project for the best accuracy. They claim you do not have to swab between shots with that powder. Again, I would hate to comment on whether that is right or wrong.

APP products are clean burning and easy clean up for the most part. They are a sugar based powder, so that white coating on the breech plug and sometimes noted near the muzzle inside, is burnt powder residue. It is supposes to clean out with simple water. Also be sure to scrub your brass cleaning jags good after shooting APP products or they will turn green and then black on you real fast...

Good luck with your rifle..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

I have read of others shooting them. They suggest to drop the sticks down the bore, then push your ramrod down there and crush the sticks.

That is an eye-opener. That doesn't seem much different than shooting loose powder. Seems like a lot of extra messing around too.

I think it is time I get a box of Pyrodex. ;)

#8 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

Grats on a fine choice of rifles Chrud :clap: ..I've owned mine a year this month-absolutely love it!!
As far as powders, I initially sighted in with Shockeys pellets-very clean powder, my observations are that is also the slowest. I've shot a few powders, I have been extensively putting lead down range in anticipation of my hunt in South Africa this coming June.I will be shooting my encore in 50 cal muzzleloader-woot!(I am taking a 7mm. rem mag barrel/encore as a back up-in case blackpowder resources become an issue). To make a long story short-my sweetest success so far has been T/C shockwave superglide sabots with triple 7 powder. I will blow the "x" out at a hundred yards with this load consistently day in day out. Currently I am shooting loose powder(pellets are not permitted into Africa)-I will tell you, loose powder burns hotter/faster than pellets. I noticed the snap/recoil on the first try-and my gun groups the same but "higher" on the target.
The triple seven isnt as clean as Shockey's, but absolutely no harder to clean. I wish you luck-I know you will get alot of enjoyment from that muzzleloader! I've always been a big bowhunter, but since hunting with my "brother from the great white north",a.k.a. bonecollecter-who introduced me to muzzleloading a few years ago, I will admit--I am addicted! :o)

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Volume for volume loose Goex, pyrodex and all except 777 will shoot very close to the same. Now with 777 loose powder it is about 15% stronger than all the rest when shot at the same volume as the rest. In other words if you shot 100 grains of anything but 777 you should get pretty close the same point of impact. If you wanted to equal the 100 gr load of the other powders with 777 you would only load 85 gr and get the others poi. The one thing you have to be careful about is when shooting the magnum loads. A rifle may allow up to 150 gr but when using 777 loose you would equal the others 150 gr loads by using only 120 gr. In fact some rifle manufacturers will state that 120 gr of 777 is a maximum load. This only applies to the loose powder. The pellets are all equal to what they state either 30 gr or 50 gr.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 09 April 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#10 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

Very helpful information. :clap:

I might still give Triple 7 a try. I'm probably going to try Pyrodex pellets after my Shockey pellets are used up.

Is there much of a difference between the Super Glides and standard Shockwaves? I went with the 250 grain Shockwaves and really like them. However, I was thinking about maybe trying the Super Glides also.

I did discover a nice trick with the Shockey pellets when shooting last weekend. After loading the pellets, I took the ramrod and knocked them down the barrell. That made loading the bullet much easier. I was shocked at the difference that made.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Very helpful information. :clap:

I might still give Triple 7 a try. I'm probably going to try Pyrodex pellets after my Shockey pellets are used up.

Is there much of a difference between the Super Glides and standard Shockwaves? I went with the 250 grain Shockwaves and really like them. However, I was thinking about maybe trying the Super Glides also.

I did discover a nice trick with the Shockey pellets when shooting last weekend. After loading the pellets, I took the ramrod and knocked them down the barrell. That made loading the bullet much easier. I was shocked at the difference that made.

The thing to remember with the Super Glide or EZ Glide type sabots.. they are going to load a LOT easier in your rifle. Sometimes if the sabot loads too easy, the accuracy suffers. Sabots come in many thickness diameters. Harvester and MMP make most of your sabots. The standard sabots are of course the hardest to load. Then you have such things as the EZ glide, Super Glide, HPH-24 and the Three Petal sabots from the various manufactures. So go ahead and try them, but if your accuracy is not what it should be, do not blame the powder right off the bat. If the current sabots are not hard to load and give good accuracy, I would stick with them. As for the pellets, the Pyrodex are good. Some people are getting good results with the new Triple Se7en magnum pellets as they are like shooting 120 grains of loose powder. Do not load three of the magnum pellets.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users