#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Broadhead test

I guess these results are not all that surprising.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 07 April 2008 - 08:50 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

slow dial up Im waiting on it to load I cant wait till the dsl setup gets here should be about 7-10 days they said :doh: it kinda reminds me of when I got the bow from woody though I was shooting a cardboard form for cement pillars it actually worked realy well untill it started getting a hole in it and started tearing the fletchings off LOL

Edited by irinman2424, 07 April 2008 - 08:22 AM.

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

I would say that the actual results were well within what I would have expected. Does look like the mechanicals for the most part faired less well than the fixed blades.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

I was referring to the results when you shoot a broadhead and arrow into a steel drum it's going to turn them into junk. The design of the broadhead was not setup to shoot through steel. I'm not sure what this really shows because shooting through bone is a bit different.

It does make you think how tough these broadhead designs are.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

Rowdy, have to agree that the test was extreme but did show at least to me that some of those mechanicals did not operate as I would have expected on such a hard surface. I was not impressed with the shot at the hog at all. It did not look like there was much penetration. As these were feral hogs I would not think that they had so much of a gristle shield as the true wild boars. I also agree that barrel shooting is very destructive to the arrow too.

#6 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

from what I seen (it gets to about 3:05 then resets itself on my dial up) and how I have thought about the mechanicals when they his something with resistance (IE bone, barrel, wood) they fold back or snap off but shooting an animal once past the ribs will it reopen? some that pop open from the front I feel would be better as they cant fold either they snap off or stay open
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#7 808XT

808XT

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, computers

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

Anyone else hunted rusty barrels? :whistle: I agree with Rowdy....all this test really showed was how broadheads will hold up against steel. Except for the shot on the hog, we really can't tell how effective the broadheads will be on game. Even in that case I don't think we know all of the facts (i.e. what type of bow, how heavy was the arrow, etc. or are we to assume that the hog was shot with the same set up?) I would have expected failures on the mechanicals when shot through steel. I wonder how many broadhead manufacturers design their BH's with the expectation that their BH's will be shot through a steel barrel to see how they would fare? I will say that the Wac'em's have sparked an interest in me. :yes:

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

808XT you raise the right questions about the hog. I question that one to. A field point at 70 pounds draw and some what of medium weight arrow would stick better than this video showed. Sorta wonder about the set up was like but they share none of those facts.

Muzzy does a steel barrel test with every batch or at least they demo this test on their web site last year. muzzy says their ferrul will hold up to it but the blades are replaceable and expect some damage.

I like how the G5 striker held up - pretty similar to the wac'em and when I've tested them they fly great and very sharp.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 07 April 2008 - 10:47 AM.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

OK you guys are making the point I was making a poor attempt at. I agree wholeheartedly that the steel drum test is very extreme but then again so are deer, hog, bear and elk bones. I did not expect great results from the mechanicals and was not surprised. I was trying to say that a broadhead whether mechanical or fixed blade could survive such a drastic test to any degree it would deserve some attention. They did seem to test popular broadheads. They did lead me to believe the shot at the hog was the same as they shot at the barrel.

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

The head that will survive the Steel Barrel test the best has already been designed.

Chances are... you already have some. They are called "Fieldpoints" :lol: Fieldpoints will show the least amount of damage in this kind of test. I'm sure everyone will agree on that.

Granted this test shows which broadheads are tougher than others and that's worth something I suppose. Penetration and accuracy, however, are different matters all together.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users