• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

well i am back, i will say up front my cooler came back empty, but not because of anyones fault but my own, i did not see any axis while on stand the bucks are about nocternal .i got to set on stand four times as this was a two day hunt for me, the first day, i had a group of small hogs come to the feeder and i shot a small one ,bout 35 lbs (i ended up giving it to some arriving hunters to cook).the other two sittings just had a group of very pesty corn stealing spanish goats and a donkey....yes donkey...come in, they ate all the corn in about two minuutes when the feeders would go off.the feeders are set to go off once in the morning and once in the evening., but i will be staight, with the new browse, they are just not eating the corn too much. keith is a great guy and one of the most honest fellas you will meet,we gelled right off the bat!! i saw a good group of rams that had some bruiser corsicans so any guys hunting rams are in for some good hunting, keith does not allow stalking on the ranch, but the rams seem to make there rounds to the feeders in hopes the goats dont eat it all.on my last evening , i was fortunate to have 20 inch black buck chase a doe by at 18 yards, he stopped quartering away and i missed him by hair, but a hair is too much!Posted Image keith has good prices, and he is able to keep them low because he brings in his own animals or traps from other ranches.i had a great time, with keith and meeting some new people, i am a little frustrated,that i did not see a whole lot of animals that i have seen in other ranches, but the weather, the browse and the short duration of my hunt played a part. i think my next trip will be too hunts ranch next spring and we will try again....if anymore needs more details please email or pm me....p.s.i do not recommend flying down anymore it was a pain in the @%*!@. :curse: __________________
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

sounds like you had a great time its not always about filling the freezer but getting out and enjoying the outdoors
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:19 AM

You said it Bill - that's Bowhunting - sorry you didn't get what you wanted but then you don't have anything more to look forward too. Maybe you'll get it done at Wilderness.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

In my honest opinion in no particular order the very toughest to get exotics with a bow are:

1. Axis Deer
2. BlackBuck
3. Nilgai
4. Auodad

The first three are from India. The Auodad is from North Africa. I gave in last year and took my Axis with a rifle on the last day. After just under 100hrs in stands and blinds and two trips trying to get one with a bow, I felt like the monkey on my back needed a bullet not a knife! I ended up with one way better than most folks ever get with a rifle. And I do mean EVER! 126 yard shot with a rifle offhand was a pretty tough shot. That I ended up with the biggest Axis on the ranch I was hunting was just a blessing!

Yep, these animals will go nocturnal. Even inside a high fence these animals figure out how to avoid hunters.

Some animals aren't as tough to harvest with a bow as others. That's a fact. They are still fun.

If you can fail hunting there that's probably an honest place Bill. I didn't get an Oryx last year and I wanted one. I had a couple, almost close enough and almost clear shot opportunities but even carrying a rifle I couldn't make it happen. That's why I'm going back to Texas. And that's why I really enjoy hunting certain exotics. It's fun, and it is real hunting.

In short, to get one of those top four with a bow (especially a good one) is no small task. My hat's off to you if you succeed.
Posted Image

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

Keep that head held high brother, heck of a lot better then working

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Sounds like an excuse to go hunting!!...again ;)

#7 willfrankjoy

willfrankjoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

Well , it sounds like more of going outdoors than hunting.though it`s quite sad that you didn't get what you wanted..I am sure it will be great next time.

axis hunts in texas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users