• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Amazing what some people will do to shoot on the range. I did not realize the snow was that deep in the woods. In fact when seated at the shooting bench, I was actually sitting on the snow level. I had to push my feet under the snow just to get comfortable. But I am sure glad I did.

Posted Image

that's my smoke house (not an outhouse) it will give you some idea how deep the snow really is. In order to get around out there, I had to put on the snowshoes as the snow would not support weight, and you would break through all the way to the inseam of your pants (I found out the hard way how deep the snow was, and then had to go back to the house for snow shoes and stomp a trail out so I could walk around) or up to the bottom of your rear end. But the snow is melting fast with the warm weather today.

Posted Image

That is a FIVE SHOT GROUP done at 25 yards off a bench rest. I had a Nikon 1X scope on the rifle. I was shooting 488 grain conicals made by Bull Shop on top of 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f powder, no wad, and using a #11 CCI Magnum cap. I need to adjust the scope just a little to the left and it should be good. The rifle was my new White .451

Posted Image

On the left is a ten shot group which was the start of the first five shot group. I never swabbed the barrel the entire time of shooting. I then turned the box upside down and shot another five shot group. That is the group on the right of the bull.

I can not wait to get the Bushnell 3200 Elite. If they are half as good as Sabotloader says they are, I think this rifle is going to be a real tack driver. And I have the Nikon 1X scope to throw on it for the muzzleloader season...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well the UPS man walked up and handed me a package. It was my new Bushnell Elite 3200 with the firefly option. So I had a set of Warne QD rings around the house and mounted that. I will have something to do tomorrow now, if the snow will hold me.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Nice set up Cayugad. I'm looking forward to the progress reports and pictures. Sorry about your snow. When that 3rd photo popped up my first thought was, "I don't see a path shoveled to the outhouse. I wonder what they're doing?" 3:)
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

That smokehouse was made with the insides from an old house trailor furnace. It was the sheet metal shell the furnace guts came in, and of course their vent is on the bottom. So I built that shed around it and insulated it, then I put a burner from my turkey cooker in the bottom with a propane feed to it so I can regulate the heat. The shelves are old wire racks from an old oven and it works perfect. You lay the meats on the racks, light the propane and it vents out the top where the chimney would have been. I put a damper on that, so I can control the amount of smoke. All I do is put a pot of wood chips over the turkey cooker burner and that starts the smudge pot going with an old pizza pan to control the smoke pot so it does not burst in to flame. It's not an outhouse.. :D :D :D

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

Looks like you have a pretty deadly set-up cayugad!
-Eric

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

Nice set up Cayugad. I'm looking forward to the progress reports and pictures. Sorry about your snow. When that 3rd photo popped up my first thought was, "I don't see a path shoveled to the outhouse. I wonder what they're doing?" 3:)

I was thinking exactly the same :lol:

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Ya gotta LOVE ingenuity!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm scope with firefly. So if you shine a flashlight through the scope, the cross hairs will glow pale green for a long time. It makes them easier to get on target when the game is in a shadow. Also this scope has rainguard and excellent clarity. I used Warne QD rings to mount it.

I then sighted through the bore on a door knob at 13 yards. The rifle was in my shooting rest. I looked through the scope and it was dead on. So I decided it would be very close to being on.

I set a Shoot N-C target out at 50 yards. I started shooting on a clean barrel with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and a 488 grain Bull Shop conical. No was was used, and I was shooting CCI magnum #11 caps.

Posted Image

Shot #1 was right in there. I was very pleased. Shots 2-4 were a good tight group so I made my first adjustment. I then shot 5&6 and made one more little adjustment. After that I shot #7-#12 and was more then pleased with that. There was a very strong cross wind. The weather station said it was 35 mph and I believe it. It was howling out there.

I walked out to photograph the target for my records, and twisted/popped my knee out. I later popped it back in place so it is not a big deal, just hurts a lot for a while. I decided to bring the target in. At 25 yards I set it up again, and decided I could hobble that far to get it.

Posted Image

I wanted to try Pyrodex P in this rifle. My Pyrodex powder measure was at 75 grains and I decided to leave it there. I swabbed the barrel clean. All I had for an aim point is a small sticker that was left on the Birchwood Casey Shoot N-C target paper. With the Elite scope, I could even pick out that small red dot at 25 yards so I knew this 3/4 inch sticker would work fine...

My first shot was a little out of the others. I was holding dead still on that red dot, and the next six shot a pretty good group. I might have to do a little more testing with Pyrodex P as it looks like it works pretty good. Then a cap got stuck in the hammer striker, and my knee hurt, and the wind was howling so I called it a day.

Overall I am very impressed with this rifle and this Bushnell Scope. I got it on sale at Natchez.com for $119.00 and I am tempted to pick up another one just in case I want one for another rifle....

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Cayugad I have had a 3200 4-12 on my 270 for years and am very pleased with it. I have not had to resight it at all. Mine does not have the firefly reticle but does have rainguard. That is some good shooting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users