13 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Jason couldn't hunt today so I went out by myself. I had planned to sit where I'd saw a gobbler fly down twice before, but it was too rough going in the dark. Soooo, dumb old me headed straight up the seriously steep hill that the turkeys have been roosting at the top of. Jason would have had a fit thinking I'd spook them off the roost, but I was getting desperate for a shot at a turkey and was going for broke. I made it near the top, without making too much noise, though my lungs felt like they were closing up and going on strike with my heart following close behind, and sat down in pitch black. As it got lighter I was starting to wonder if there were any birds there when right on top of me I heard a gobble. He was close, REAL CLOSE, only three trees away, but I couldn't see him at all because of a tree between us. Yeah, I thought. Here we go, game on! He gobbled a couple times and then started putting like mad. Next thing I knew he sailed out of the tree, down the hill side, and landed where I'd first wanted to go. Seems that's his pattern. Too far away for me to shoot and out of sight to boot. Not to be too discouraged I got out my friction call and made a few yelps. He gobbled a few more times but was steadily moving farther away. As I was sitting there trying to figure how to get to that magic spot he flies down too in the dark, on another day, I suddenly started hearing more putting close by. I yelped and shazam three young birds flew down behind and to my left. Danged if they didn't head straight for me with the biggest one in the lead. I pulled the trigger and the 3 1/2" mag 12 ga. knocked him down hard. He was only about 15 yards from me. He's no giant but he sure will taste good injected with Cajun herb and butter marinade and then put in the smoker. He weighed 17 lbs on the nose, has a 9 1/2" beard, and 1" spurs. I'm having problems with my digital camera so the pics my wife took are not very good but I'll post them later when I get the chance. At the moment I'm one tired puppy and a hot bath and a nap are both very high on my priority list at the moment. Not going to bother scoring him for the contest as Leo, Eric, and maybe Paul already have this one beat. Now that I've got one for the smoker though, I can afford to be a bit pickier and hold out for a big bird. We've had a tough season so far but it apears it may be getting better. I'm not going down easy guys, you'll have to earn my crown and pink plunger. :lol: And to think, I almost stayed in bed this morning because they were predicting more rain. Patience may kill turkeys but so does persistance too. ;) :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 27 April 2008 - 07:12 PM.

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

way to Go Norm CONGRATULATIONS
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Congrats Norm!
-Eric

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

I can feel the spirit of spirithawk hit the ceiling even if his body may be ready to hit the floor. Way to go my friend. It isn't always the size of the prize but the success of the participant. Yea Eric and my birds are a little bigger but one in the sights is better than a dozen big old ones in the bush somewhere else. Congratulations this makes me almost as happy as you.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

Congrats on your bird! I like to see the pics regaurdless of size or contest!!! May 1st is opening day for me...
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Way to go Norm !!!!!
Posted Image

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. This wasn't the big Tom I'm looking for but the way this seasons been going I was sure happy to get him. Even though this mornings hunt might seem fairly simple, it was anything but. My lungs keep telling me that climbing those big hills are a no no but my legs just don't seem to listen. :rolleyes: My hearts hanging in there but it's wondering what the heck I'm thinking too. Trying to get up that hill, in the dark, without spooking the turkeys was a real challenge but it worked, prooving my theory that sometimes you have to think outside the box. Also, this is only the second bird I've gotten without Jason's help. For a young bird he's pretty respectable, but you have to keep in mind that the average mature bird in this area will be 20 lbs and up, with a 10 1/2" and up beard, and spurs in the 1 1/2" range. Jason's very first bird was just an ounce shy of 29lbs, 11" beard, and 1 1/2" spurs. Want a real eye opener? Take a look at the record book for Missouri turkeys. There's some monsters in there. Now that I'm a member of the NWTF I'm hoping to get one on the books myself. Like my buddy Paul said, this hunt turned out not to be about the size of the bird but about the challenge it took to get him. Can't get the pics to down load from the camera and not sure if it's the camera or our old computer, but will keep trying. Pretty sure it's the camera though as the pics turned out pretty blurred and it usually takes good pics. If I do score on a big Tom I'll buy a new camera! :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 27 April 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

Well I for one would have bet you'd beat me again this year Norm. It might still happen.

Gotta a few more days in the season here. Don't know if I'm going again or not.

Regardless, good bird, congrats. Hope you can get that camera working.

Edited by Leo, 27 April 2008 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Thanks Leo. If I do win again this year it won't be so much that I'm a great hunter but more that Missouri just has some really big birds. Jason and I feel blessed that we have the oportunities here that we do. My theory on getting turkey's is simple. Persistence and patience is the name of the game. Though this year it would sure help to be able to swim. :rolleyes: :lol:

#10 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

Way to go Norm, that is a nice bird. I know what you mean about being wet, and good luck on the rest of the season. Praying that you get that big one.

turbo

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

Think of it this way Norm you may finally be able to answer that age old question of "How big of a boat do you need to hunt turkeys". Lol
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#12 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

Way to go on the bird, Norm. I'm thinking that age has a lot to do with our ability to be going up them hills like a goat. We're still goats, but we're getting to be old ones, now. After climbing a good grade, we make more racket than an old steam engine.

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

:bigthumb: Congrats Spirithawk.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

:P

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users