#1 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

Friday, May 18,
We arrived in the turkey woods and listened for a goobble, the woods were quiet. We went to an area and set up and started to call, after 30 minutes or so we finnaly got an answer. The gobble worked his way to us ever so slowly, suddenly the hens started in, OH NO I thought to myself, the hens were in behind us and calling. I had Woody swing around to face the other way, suddenly the Tom appeared he came in went behind a small tree then behind a larger tree and then he was gone. Woody was ready to shoot when the gobbler stepped out from behind the tree but he just disappeared. We set up in a couple of other places but with no luck. We did hear the hens again but it was not to be his day. On the way out of the property I intorduced Woody to another type of hunting. Morral Mushrom hunting that is. We found a mess of them and took them home and Woody and Patsy had themselves a feast. Now the Queen has ordered us to bring back some more of the tasty morsels.

Saturday, May 19,
We arrived in the woods but this time a little higher then the previous day. Right off the bat a gobbler sounded off, then another and another then another then another then again another in a different location, Woody just could not believe his ears. Again a single gobbler sounded off then the rest of them followed in sequance. There were 8 gobblers sounding off at one time. So we moved in a little closer and the seranade continued. I heard them fly down but as luck would have it they went in a different direction, the next time we heard them they were 300 or so yards away and going farther away. We set up in two different locations but with no luck. So we decided to move to another location. When we parked the truck I gave one yelp and bingo a Tom sounded off. We moved in and set up but no luck again.

Turbo

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

Good luck you two! I know you'll get one
-Eric

#3 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Monday, April 28,

RAINED OUT, it has been raining since 4 a.m. Sure hope it lets up so I can get the King of the North out.

turbo

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

Tuesday, April 29.

Well we went to a different place on the property today, and right off the bat bingo gobbler sounding off. We get close and set up. But the Tom goes in the other direction. We started to follow him and after moving some we heard him sound off again, I gave a few yelps and he answered back. So we headed up a little higher on the mountain. We got to the road and walk as far as I dared, not being sure how close we were. So I gave a yelp and he answered back about 200 hundreds yards out, so we walked a little further and gave another yelp and he sounded off again but this time a lot closer. I told Woody that the bird was coming in fast and by the time we got all set and I started to call again and there he was, Woody got a glimpse of his head as he flashed thru, he saw the decoys and then all I could hear was his drumming. We had set up on a little hill that when the bird top it it would be curtains for him, so after playing with him for a while he just lost interest and went on his merry way, While we were working this bird I kept hearing another bird gobbling just over the ridge from us so we decided to make a trip in his direction. After closing the gap between us we heard him gobble just above us in the field, I made some calls and he answered back but again the bird never came in to our calls. We did hear other birds today and the weather was quit chilly for this time of year. Woody and I looked at each other and said SNOW FLAKES WHAT THE HECK! Woody had another good day and the bonus was that we found some more tasty morsels for the Queen. I have to work tomorrow so the next day we can get out will be Thursday, that is if it don't rain.

Turbo

#5 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Pa Turbo and Woody; You boys are having too much fun ! Those big birds are pretty elusive at times, but I am sure there luck is running out. Continued good luck with your encounters, and hope to see the Woodster and Pa Turbo photo's of your good adventures. HH in Pa :D

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

Too much fun Dave. Next time a gobbler answers but hangs up, try setting Woody up and then (if you feel that it can be done safely)you head back 50-75 yards behind him in a direct line opposite of the Gobbler before doing any calling. :hunter: ....good way for Woody to catch one sneaking in silently.
Posted Image

#7 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Hey ya'll, Well I am not going to talk about my turkey hunting, my Buddy Dave (Paturbo) is doing a fantastic job. I would like to thank him for the experience of a lifetime and for all he has taught me about turkey hunting and sharing and showing me his hunting grounds which are just fantastic. Sharing his special morsels which are found in the woods (Morel mushrooms) the Queen and I especially enjoy, mmmm good. Dave I don't know how to thank you for all you have done for me when it comes to turkey hunting. Explaining the calling and showing me how it is done and why has been an amazing experience, especially since I am a first timer. Thank you my friend for giving me memories that will last a lifetime. :clap: :) :bigthumb:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Thursday, May 1st

Woody and I were in the wood again today. Heard some birds sounding off and we moved in. Again to no avail. So we kept on moving and calling and listening. Finally heard another gobbler sound off, and we set up on him, he gobbled 10 times and would not come in any closer. so we decided to move in a little closer to the bird. The bird circled us and was just above us so we set up again. Again the Tom would not move in any closer, and as time went by he started off in the other direction. So we continued to walk and call and listen but we could not find any birds or hear them. As we were walking back to the truck I gave a few calls and a gobbler answered and he was close. I called again and he answered back. So we did not have much time to get set up but we did as fast as we could. Things were quiet for a few moments then I started to make a call and then I saw him he was coming in and I knew that I could not stop the call in the middle for I knew he would run for sure, but as you know he did not see what he heard and headed off to our left. Woody did see the Tom but could not get a shot at him. Woody said that the bird had a huge body, so this time I messed up and chased the bird off. Well thats turkey hunting. So we are heading back out tomorrow and hopefully we can seal the deal on a nice Gobbler.

Turbo

#9 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:40 PM

Pa Turba and Woody; Continued good luck with the gobblers on Friday, May 2nd. We are due some heavy rains Fri afternoon and Sat. Dave I finally found your location on a map, it is no where near Clearville, should not be a problem to find now, after I plugged in your home address. LOL, thank goodness for Google map. Shoot straight Woody, try the bow Dave made you, that will be a challenge. HH in Pa

#10 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

Great reading Turbo. Our opening day is tomorrow. After reading your tales it will be hard to sleep tonight.
I read into your post a little. You are getting close. They are answering your calls. But each time something is just not right. The comment about the gobbler being above us lends me to this suggestion. Think set up. Call him to where he wants to go. Not where you want him to come.

I love this thread, Keep it up. :boone:
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#11 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hang in there guys. Best of luck to ya.

Edited by WayneBizzle, 02 May 2008 - 08:37 PM.

Posted Image

#12 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

Friday, May 2nd.

Well Woody and I were out again, and the turkey's were not gobblin like they have been in the past few days. We finally heard a couple and we set out to get in a little closer. We set out to try and get in front of this bird, and we set up but no action the gobbler just went silent. I had heard another bird some distance away but he seemed to be moving in our direction so we moved some to get into position on him. We had birds gobbling to the right of us and left of us but none of them would come in any closer, so we decided to move in on one of the birds. We moved in without being seen and set up again. I told Woody that I was going to be about 70 yards behind him and call. We sat there for over and hour with no results, so I decided to move a little closer to the bird and bam busted, we jumped him out. Well so far the Gobblers are out smartin me and Woody and the time is getting shorter. So we will be trying to get back out on Tuesday and Wednesday, and hopefully we will have better results.

turbo

#13 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

Saturday May 3rd.

We were out early and the turkeys were gobblin all over the place. We set up a few different times, but the birds would not come in. At one set up we had three birds going at one time in one location and another bird in another location. So we decided to go after the lone bird. We sat for over an hour but no Tom showed up. So I decided to move in a little closer for lack of action, and boy was that a dumb move chased the Gobbler right out of there. We did not hear any other birds for the rest of the day, but Woody still had a great time.

Tuesday, May 6th.

We had a guest show up and go turkey hunting with us. Richard Thomas AKA Hungry Horse. We set out early and arrived at our spot. We heard a few birds sounding off and I decided to move out the road some. As we were walking out the road a Gobbler flew out of his roost and directly over our heads. I started to Owl hoot a little later and got two responses. So we set up on the lower bird. Every time I would yelp the bird would gobble. So I set up Woody and then Hungry Horse (who wanted to film the hunt) and I sat up behind them all. I started to call and the bird answered right back, he gobbled a few more times and he was coming in slowly but coming none the less. I saw Woody raise the gun and was aiming down below him so I sat there and was quiet. A few moments went by and then I saw the gobbler moving out to my right, but Woody did not see him, the bird started to move off in the other direction so I gave another yelp and the gobbler turned and answered back. This time Woody heard where he was. I was watching the bird in full strut and then he started to walk in Woodys direction. Woody started to move the gun barrel in the Gobblers direction but the Tom would have no part of it, and was gone in a flash. It was a close encounter, and no bird was harvested but it was a thrill for Woody.. We all had a great day with Hungry Horse, he is a real gentleman and a pleasure to be with. And he was excited to be able to hunt with Woody as well.

Wednesday May 7th.

Woody and I and the boy (Doug) headed out to the turkey woods once again. But it was one of those days where the birds were not to talkative. We heard two birds gobble a couple of times but that was it. The gobblers were very silent this day. but we put in the miles and did what we could to get a bird to respond. It was by far our worse day in the woods. Needless to say Woody did not bag his bird but we had a experience we will long remember for a long time. It was a pleasure to be able to get my best friend out and I loved each and every moment spent in the woods with my dear friend. I am hopeful that I may get another day off but it doesn't seem posible at this moment. Woody heard many birds and had a few good chances to bag his first turkey, but it was not in the books. I look forward to the next time we can spend some quality time in the turkey woods again.

turbo

#14 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

Paturbo aka dave: Great running narrative on the turkey hunts of Woody and your self. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to hunt with you two ridge runners. The country was pretty, the birds many and smart. Thank you for the "real gentleman" compliment, really just a old Pa hunter, enjoying new found friends and the opportunity to hunt ( with camera) those willy birds. Thank you for your hospitality and friendship. Continued good luck, and God's healing hand with your son's illiness. Best to you and Randi !

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:43 PM

Well said HH well said.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users