Photo

Do You Fletch Your Own Shafts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Fletching or not fletching (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you fletch yes or no

1. Yes I do (12 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No I buy new already made arrows (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

I was wondering if you do make up your own arrows from raw shafts. if you use a wraps and then fletch your own shafts. I also was wondering what you fletch with a plastic vane like the new 2" style or larger, or feathers. Or FOBS or something else.

I have been making mine up for some time. I get cut shafts to length then use a squaring tool on the shafts at both ends. I use a G5 squaring device and then gue in the inserts and I may possibly add a wrap and then fletching in plastic vanes. I have been using the popular 2" Bohning Blazer vane for several years now and have been wanting to try the new Flex Fletch flash vane that's in a 2" and testing of it shows it may be better than the blazer but not by much.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 28 April 2008 - 03:22 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hey Rowdy! Back home I use to get my arrows done in an Archery shop,right now Dave Paturbo is doing up 2 Doz Arrows for me 2" Blazer vanes with turbo noks, he is cutting them for me also! :bigthumb:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Hey Rowdy! Back home I use to get my arrows done in an Archery shop,right now Dave Paturbo is doing up 2 Doz Arrows for me 2" Blazer vanes with turbo noks, he is cutting them for me also! :bigthumb:

Woody now I call that a darn good friend :thumbsup: I hope you use all those with success and deadly aim on those tough African plains game.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 28 April 2008 - 03:38 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

I have been buying the prefletched and have them cut to size when I get them (only reason for that is I dont have the equipment to do my own I used to but when I sold the Bear I sold everything with it and havent replaced it yet)
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

I buy ready to shoot arrows. I wish I had the stuff to fletch my own arrows because I have a few arrows that need vanes replaced.
-Eric

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

When I was shooting regularly I also worked evenings for my Bro-in-law at his archery shop. This was back when aluminum was king and I don't know how many dozen shafts I made up for him but it was a lot. I usually got the job of repairing arrows i.e. nocks, refletch, straighten, and new points. I do still have a fletching tool that most likely would belong better in a museum somewhere.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Yup. No particular reason why, I just do.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

make my own. its easy to pick up the phone, call Western and say I need a doz and this is what I want. Next day swing in and pick them up. but I personaly like playing with colors and wraps and set ups, and there is just something about doing them youself that is fullfilling.

wife isn't crazy about me covering the coffee table with an old towl and pulling out my arrow making stuff and doing up a doz arrows while watching a movie with her....then I ask, would you rather I was down the road at the local pub hanging out? :) all is good.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

i am wanting to do them myself, but i dont know where to start as far as needed equipment. it is difficult to go to a pro shop as there is not one real close to me.
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#10 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

When we made the decision to do our own fletching, I asked around to my local archery pals and the folks here and ended up buying a Bitzenburger jig. Since I've never used anything else I can't give you an objective comparison review, but it works great for us. Not only do I fletch arrows for Melody and myself, I also fletch the arrows for the camp here. Kids are really hard on stuff and arrows are no exception, so my Bitzenburger gets a lot of use.

As for vanes and glue and wraps and so forth, as Bruce says, it seems to be a constant process of trying this and that and the other thing just to see if something will give you more speed or more accuracy or just plain look cooler.

I think Leo and Jeremiah are a wonderful source of wisdom, knowledge and experience with this stuff so let's hope they chime in here soon.

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Like Larry I have used only two fletching tools, a Grayling and Bitzenburger. I can't talk about the others cause I don't know anyone using them. You can't go wrong with a bitz fletching tool and a straight or I prefer the right helical jig that holds the vane or feather. I use goat tuff glue and it works fine on the Blazer 2" vanes or about any of the plastic based vane. I use the shorter wraps when I do do a wrap made for the Bohning Blazer vane. I have not tried to do feather yet.

It's not difficult to do your own arrows and once you get started it fun and you hardly ever consider buying a ready made arrow. I have made some ugly ones and some that I'm proud of. Like Bruce said mainly it personalizes the arrow to your liking and some pride you made these.

#12 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

I used to do my own,{worked at an archery shop to pay for my addiction} Now, I let the pro shop do them for me. Its an evolution of sorts, nobody I know of got into archery because they loved fletching arrows, but rather started fletching because they got hooked on archery. Kinda like fly fishing evolves into fly tieing and rod building and reloading and gun-smithing to the shooting sports.

#13 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

Its an evolution of sorts, nobody I know of got into archery because they loved fletching arrows, but rather started fletching because they got hooked on archery.

Good point.

#14 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

I haven't met an archer that didn't have some twist on fletching an arrow (pun intended). Having said that, I do mine with a professional friend who has all the jigs and stock I need. I agree with those that say they like to test their fletchings for results. I often use my pals shooting lanes to test the new fletching and if I don't like it's flight pattern I can change them. I did this with Quick Spin fletchings before I bought a ton of them and found they weren't enough of an improvement to justify the expense.

Now, I have used a few OTS products in a jam. They worked well enough to get me through but I wouldn't have shot the Oregon State Games with them; if you will. You get what you pay for. IMO, if you shoot many rounds at the range you often reload. If you are into archery you often fletch your own arrows.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#15 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

Yes I fletch my own BUT I buy the bare shafts cut to length. I use the Arizona EZ Fletch but I wouldn't recommend that as a beginners tool. Most new users can't resist squeezing that thing too hard and end up wrinkling their fletchings and getting glue all over the jig. It takes some practice. I boogered up a few before I got the hang of it.

With that jig, the cyanoacrylate gel based fletching glues work the best for me. Beware of accelerants and super fast glues they weaken the bond and fast glues aren't strong.

Longer setting time glues are stronger and take longer to work with.

I use the AZ to replace bad fletchings. But most of the time, ESPECIALLY WITH BLAZERS when the fletching is tore up real bad you need to take a serious look at the arrow. Sometimes they are ok, sometimes there is an uh-oh crack you may not have noticed otherwise. That arrow gets trashed. Taking a risk shooting an arrow you know has a crack is DUMB DUMB DUMB! This happens a lot! Enough that although I've replaced single fletchings on several shafts I've can't remember the last time I totally refletched one. Blazers are really tough, often if you notch a Blazer you've hit the shaft and damaged it too.

I don't get the guys that love wraps because it makes refletching easier. For me the arrow is toast before refletching is necessary. Don't get me wrong. Wraps are pretty. Maybe I'll do some one day. But for now I'll stick with ugly and cheap. I break too many arrows to become emotionally attached to my handiwork.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users