Photo

Do You Fletch Your Own Shafts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Fletching or not fletching (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you fletch yes or no

1. Yes I do (12 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. No I buy new already made arrows (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:17 PM

I fletch my own and some of my friend's arrows. I own a Grayling jig and have all three clamps. I use boning platinum glue and Duravanes. I perfer the 4" vanes. I usually fletch all my arrows at least twice before hunting season. I use helical over straight it seems to bring my groups in tighter.

#17 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

... I break too many arrows to become emotionally attached to my handiwork.

Leo, is there more then one dot on that target of your's? :hmm: :cool: :whistle:
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#18 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

Leo, is there more then one dot on that target of your's? :hmm: :cool: :whistle:

Yes, and I don't try for groups unless I'm sighting in. Sometimes I tape new dots on to get clean foam. Most of the arrows I break are when they blow through the foam target. Bag targets don't wear out as quick but sometimes they angle into the target and actually get hit inside it.
Posted Image

#19 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

I need to add. I practice a lot shooting from an elevated deck. This means I am hitting the target at an angle.

I used to get a lot of nock cracks using stock nocks when shooting at an angle. Carbons would crack right there at the back where the nock goes in. I've found this happens much more often shooting into a target from an angle than any other time.

Since I started using F/S Tune-A-Nocks this happens much less frequently. I think it's because those nocks are shorter and don't torque on the back of the shaft as hard as the stock nocks do on angled shots.

If you decide to fletch with a wrap leave the last 1/2" of the shaft uncovered. Wraps won't prevent nock cracks but they sure will hide them. I trash nock cracked arrows. I don't believe they are safe to shoot.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users