#1 swampdogg

swampdogg

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing and being with my 2 boys

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

took my oldest boy to the library the other day trying to get him more into reading than the t.v. just walking around looking and there it was a book i haven't seen in 18years Where the red fern grows man talk about memories it came home with us this post might get a little long grab a glass of milk and a cookie and i'll try to give a couple of intermission for bathroom breaks i never got to hunt in the ozarks just the farm land of western missouri but man what a timestanding in a cut corn field in november with a heavy frost on the ground not in designer huntng clothes but old work boots, bluejeans an old carhart coat, longjohns if you remembered them and a borrowed hat lamp. standing at you feet was a redbone hound also borrowed. seeing your breath hanging in the air and saying those magical words "hunt'em up red" watching thae dog take off like a shot hearing that first bay was the best sound i ever heard runnig after the dog hoping he was chasing a coon and not a possum running the gauntlet across draper's field also known as dodge the peanut (peanut being the very tempermental bull that lived in the field you didn't have to run faster than the bull just one of your friends of course peanut wasn't a track star himself so it was all good) feeling the cold wind on your face laughing like there was no tommorrow coming home worn out carryng a load of pelts hoping to do it again the next night. i find myself thinking of the past more each year i am pushing 40 after all i don't have but one or two regrets but i do alot of wishing sometimes so if anyone has an extra genie in a bottle laying around could i borrow it i've only got three wishes 1st to be able to tell my grandma and bill that i love them before the wreck that took their lives 2nd instead of stepping back step up and so no sorry thats my daughter to and i want to be a part of her life instead of making it up 15 years later 3rd to be standing in a cut corn field in november with a heavy frost on the ground with a borrowed hat lamp and a borrowed redbone hound and saying those words once more "hunt'em up red" it's funny how a mind works all of this from seeing a book on a shelf sorry about the ramblings
Eat more possum!

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

Nothing to be sorry about. When the printed word conjures up our own memories that is a good thing. Infact I have only been hunting raccoon at night with a dog once in my life and you brought it all back so clear. Thanks.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

Loved every line in that book....Old Dan & Little Ann sure got me yearning to own a Redbone hound. I did eventually get a Black & Tan male and a Bluetick Female that sang a sweet song many frosty night on Bald Eagle mountain in Central PA. My dogs are long since gone but I found a VCR tape of "Where the Red Fern Grows" at a yardsale a few years ago.....still watch it on rare ocassions! :boone:
Posted Image

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:56 AM

I think everybody, if they have an open mind, will at some point in their lives, recognize that they are{or were} exactly where where they were meant to to be at that particular time. Miracles happen every day, we just have to open our eyes a bit wider to see them.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

I loved both the book and the movie. Always was partial to coon hunting and the pure music of good hounds. I've owned both Walkers, Red Bones, and Black & Tans. Been thinking about getting another Red Bone. I have fond memories of taking Jason, when he was about 8, on coon hunts. It was pure magic that will always live in our memories. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users