Avg Free Anti-virus Discontinued

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

Public Service Announcement:

Everyone running AVG Free Anti-virus should have already received this notice, but for anyone who didn't...
AVG Free 7.5 will no longer be supported after the end of this month!
The good news is that AVG has finally released the free "basic" edition of their latest version, 8.0.

Download AVG FREE 8.0 Here

Unlike previous versions, AVG Free 8.0 is both anti-virus and anti-spyware/adware software. It also has a new "Safe Search" feature which works with search engines like Google to indicate whether sites you are about to visit contain malicious content.

I've been running 8.0 Free for a few days now and I have to say that I like it. The interface is vastly improved, the new features work well, and so far it runs completely in the background. (No more program update "pop-ups" to clutter the screen when turning the computer on or anything!)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

Ohh goodie. I got the email that it was being discontinued but when I first got the notice, I couldnt find the free download. Thought I was going to have to pony up. I use avg @ work & at home. I really like it.

Is the anti spy ware program changing too?

Edited by Whitetiger, 15 May 2008 - 08:36 AM.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

Tell me about it! They just put the new free version on the site last week that I saw even though the announcement that 7.5 would be no more came out at least a couple weeks ago. I think they planned that gap deliberately to try to get a few sales. I can't say that I blame them, but it's a pretty unethical thing to do IMO.

The stand alone AVG anti-spyware and anti-rootkit programs are being completely discontinued.

Since the new anti-virus free 8.0 has anti-spyware integrated, it's really not an issue. I'll miss the anti-rootkit though. :(

sig_admin.png

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

FWIW...

I found this post on an antivirus forum and plan to try a few of those. I also have heard good things about PREVXCSI.

sig_admin.png

#5 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

whats the anti root kit? and what does it do? Never heard of it.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

AVG used to have a free anti-rootkit utility. Now, you have to buy the full security system to get it.

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users