• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:35 AM

Ammo prices were cheap three yrs ago so I sort of quit reloading and left the bench sit as was. I began to buy one box of ammo every payday and add it to my horde. Now ammo prices is so darn high (33.00 for a box of 240gr 44mag :curse: ) I've decided to reload again. Was working on a project of reloading hundreds of 30.06 220gr Silvertips for my extended road trip to AK and sice I got a camper that will actually make Tok Jct and the Brooks Range I am gonna start next week to dust off the bench and stuff some cases. ( Might need a case tumbler tho ;) ). I used to reload in winter after deer season to relieve phototropic depression, now it seems the heat gets to me so I'll retire to the cool dry environment of my manroom and hide out til its time to go scout for elks.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

I do not reload every day or even every week but do keep up the practice. I must say the price of components especially bullets has gone way up recently.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

I haven't bought any components for a dogs age. I have enough, that when I croak,they will be left to someone in my will. I will probably be in for a rude awakening if I go to the sporting goods store to get something that I probably don't need.

#4 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:15 AM

I don't reload and shoot that much anymore because of my hands and finances but I will never give completely up. In the last few years I have bought an electric brass trimmer and a brass cleaner vibritory type and a sifter that separates the brass from the media. I use an old RCBS JR3 single stage press for rifle and an old Lyman turret for handgun. I will when I have the money buy the new Rockchucker press as it has a larger opening and easier for my hands with the 270, 300WM and 300RUM. If I ever get the cash up I will buy an electronic scale and powder throw assembly just to make it as easy on my hands as I can. The grand children love to resize for me so when they are over and get bored I let them prep some brass for me as every little bit helps. I have lots of brass and want to get it all ready so all I have to do is add primer powder and bullet. I had hoped that my son would take a big interest in reloading and that I could teach him and get a lot of mine done the real easy way but alas not happening now maybe later and maybe one of the little ones who knows.
MR300WM

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

Joe I was set up in reloading by my father-in-law. My wife and I went to his house to visit and he had a whole box of reloading equipment for me. My press is a Dunbar press. It probably was made in the 50s and the company went out of business sometime around then. He also had a powder scale, severeal caliber dies, a hand deprimer/primer, a powder measure and assorted small items. The Dunbar is an H style press and very heavy duty and holds two dies at once. My son and I usually get together and reload. We have spent many an enjoyable evening concocting super ammo.

#6 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

I got my first eqipment by trading my Phantom 500 "anyone know what a Phantom 500 was?" I was getting out of cb after many years and had already taken down my base station and a friend from the radio wanted my linear amplefier and so a trade was made and I was starting to reload for a 357 and a very picky 270.
MR300WM

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Joe I too reload for a somewhat picky 270. I should say that there are some bullet weights that I just never got any accuracy from. The lighter bullet weights are not as accurate as the offerings in 130 to 150 gr.

#8 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

I also reload and find it very relaxing. I will need to reload and catch up on my rounds this year. I have been keeping 100 rounds of each caliber that I own in stock so its starting to look bleek. I do on occasion reload for some friends, but that is the extent fo that.

turbo

#9 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

I ended up with ther 150gr Hornady spire point and 46grs of IMR4064 in the Rem 7400 Semiauto 270. Small base dies and a crimp in the cannlure. Avarge 1 1/2 at 100yds plenty for deer. But make any change and its off the paper and having to start over so I quit changing with it. I keep over 100rounds for each handgun patubo up to 900 rds at times. The 454 Casull is the only one that I don't go to overboard for, but at least 500 for all the others. Oh buy the way don't come into the house unanounced. Springfield on the nightstand and Ruger SBH with full house rounds stuck between the matresses with the grip sticking out right where my hand falls. I use Hornady XTPs for self defence big and slow in the 45 big and fast in the 44. Counting rifle and handgun I have over 1000 rounds to get loaded maybe close to 2000.

Edited by Joe, 11 June 2008 - 07:19 PM.

MR300WM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users