Photo

What Grain Broadhead Do You Use?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Broadhead and field point grains (26 member(s) have cast votes)

100 grains

1. 125 Grains (4 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. More than 125 grains (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Less than 100 grains (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 100 Grains (22 votes [84.62%])

Percentage of vote: 84.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

When I first got started I had no real training on what weight arrow head to choose from and I was told to shoot 100 grains. I did not question it and I haven't really up till now. In the last month I bought some 125 grain field points and was trying them out and to my amazement the POI (point of impact) was as good as the 100 grains out to 30 yards and out past that they flew below the targeted spot for 100 grains hit, with out adjusting my sights for the 125's. The 125's hit fairly solid and louder to my hearing than the 100's did.

I didn't change my arrows just the heads and mostly I shoot 400 spines with some 350 spines with a 28" arrow and my poundage is set at 68#.

So I got wondering how many have had the same experience by not changing the broadhead weight?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

125s fly better for me.

The extra 25grains makes little trajectory difference but 25% more weight up front really makes a difference on some setups.

Yes the heavier heads cost you some speed, but in my experience they often stabilize arrows better for longer ranges.

Don't get your heart set on shooting the fastest lightest head. Your accuracy may suffer ;)
Posted Image

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:33 AM

I shoot 100 grain Muzzys because that's what I was recommended by a few members here. They fly well with my bow, so I don't really have a reason to change.
-Eric

#4 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

I shoot 100 gr broadheads myself, but I use two different brands. One is the G5 Montec and the other is the 100gr Razor cap. Both shoot exceptional out of my bow.

turbo

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:15 AM

I shoot 100 gr broadheads myself, but I use two different brands. One is the G5 Montec and the other is the 100gr Razor cap. Both shoot exceptional out of my bow.

turbo

Dave I think Woody is shooting the Razorcaps in Africa? You must have got him setup with them. They are great flying heads and very lethal. I've used them with some success. I hope Woody finds the same using them.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

I was set up with them when I started in archery. I've never tried any other weights.

#7 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

100 grains, dont know why, but they seem to do the deed
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#8 my7pointmonster

my7pointmonster

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Competitive 3D, Bowhunting, Videoing hunts, Camping, fishing and Predator Hunting.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

100 grains because its got enough wait to penetrate more than enough and it works with my setup.

Ryan.

#9 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

Yep Rowdy, love those 100gr Razorcap's, if it aint broke don't fix it :D
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#10 PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:37 PM

I shoot 125 grain heads for 2 reasons........

1.) Better FOC with the extra weight up front

2.) I'm a heavier arrow kind of guy

#11 The_Nuge

The_Nuge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Bow hunting.. Tattoos.. beer.. the good stuff!

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Im still not convinced on the weight forward or head weight theory.. I dont need to get into detail as we discussed it quite a bit at the lodge this week.. but like I said before I have blown threw shoulders and still had enough energy behind it to send the arrow flying off into who knows where. Jeff said he heard my arrow go whizzing off into nowhere after I shattered her shoulder with it... proof is in the pudd"n B)

I guess for argument sake(I like an opinion) I shoot a 29in carbon force 200 arrow, 100 grain rage head.. 30in. draw at 63lb draw weight. 288 actual feet per second

PS SPEED KILLS!

Edited by The_Nuge, 16 October 2008 - 08:36 PM.

Dont mind me... im just gona PASS THREW!

#12 mdwhite611

mdwhite611

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Fishin', huntin',

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

I shoot 100 grain Muzzys because that's what I was recommended by a few members here. They fly well with my bow, so I don't really have a reason to change.

I'm a 100 grain Muzzy Man myself...Love Em'.

#13 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

I have always shot 100 gr. and found it to be best with my set-up. Right now I am going with the 100 gr. Rage 2 Blades and don't see a change coming anytime soon.
Posted Image

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

I shoot two different weight arrows sometimes. Depending on where , and what, I'm hunting. I shoot 125's on the heavier arrows and 100's on the lighter ones.

#15 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

I shoot a 100gr, 3 blade muzzy. I did not decide to shoot 100gr heads and then build an arrow around that, but rather, I looked at the total package weight wise. I could shoot a 75 gr head with my arrows, and have, but 100"s seem to work {fly} better at longer distances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users