• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#46 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'm glad the guys are having a great and successful time. :thumbsup:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#47 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Patsy for the updates and what fun these guys are having - man does it sound like a blast.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#48 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Woody got his Gemsbok with a rifle, had no choice, the string snapped on the BowTech, not while he was using it but while riding in the truck, he heard a twang, looked over and sure enough the string had snapped. The positives are it happened at the end of the Safari and no one was hurt. No one will hunt tomorrow; they are going to hang out, relax and reflect, then Thursday head for home, departing from Port Elizabeth at 12:20 pm. They are in the Wildschutsberg Game Reserve in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, Woody said it is raining buckets and cool, June and July being the coldest months there and staff remarked it is not unusual to see snow on the mountaintops, some of which are 7000 feet in elevation. If youíre interesting in taking a look at the area click the link, http://www.wildschut...co.za/index.htm, there is a link (near the bottom) to Hunter Hills Safari. Actually when I check both websites, many pictures are exactly the same, owned by the same company maybe. Tonight they are going to view white lions being fed in a neighbouring area; the lions are confined so safe enough. Well wonít be long and the gang will be here sharing their stories and pictures. :yes:
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#49 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

thats a bummer that the string went on his bow but I am glad that he is having a great time and has time to relax a bit before the long flight home
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#50 woodys_daughter01

woodys_daughter01

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

:boone: - Wow, Woody is having the time of his life!!!! Well deserved for sure!!!!

I am just wondering what they do now with all these animals? Do they eat them all before they come home? Mount the heads and bring them back with them?

Can just picture visiting the rolling castle and seeing heads hanging everywhere!!! LOL!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

Deb - 3:)
Dream, Strive, Drive

Sometimes I wonder, why is that Frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.

#51 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

heads??? huck and leo said it s full body mounts or nothing at all :) the rolling castle will look like Noahs Ark :)

We'd have to ask one of the guys who's been there, but my understanding is the meat usually goes to the lodge or the local people of the area. Mounts depends on the person. they can have them shipped back and then mounted once back across the little pond.
leo can prob shed more light on that then I can.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#52 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Ah, Deb, good questions, the meat is donated to the food bank, hides are tanned and sold, money donated to the Wild Life fund. Some of the guys will have mounts done and anything that is being shipped back to the US or Canada has to spend a year I think in quarantine before beihg shipped. Others that have experience can probably answer that question for you more accurately than I.
I know Dad is bringing back the tusks from the warthog and I think he wants to have a couple of skull mounts done, can't remember which ones though.
Love Mom
Posted Image
Rolling Castle Blog

#53 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Bruce, you got ahead of me with the answer. :roflmao: :roflmao: at your remark --Rolling Castle looking like Noah`s Ark
Posted Image
Rolling Castle Blog

#54 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Glad that they are having a great time over there. Was there any doubt? :blink: Do you think that Woody will look good with a new warthog necklace? Maybe a nice set of zebra hide undies? :blush: When is the gang due to wander back home? I'm thinking that as soon as they get back, the next trip will be in the planning stage, with departure in the near future. After that much fun times, they are all addicted, and withdrawls are gonna be a bummer!

#55 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

Tomorrow at 5:00 am, the gang will be leaving Hunter Hills Safari heading for the Port Elizabeth Airport, on the first leg of their journey home. From Port Elizabeth, they fly to Johannesburg, and then to Dulles Airport from Dulles each will journey to their respective homes. Huck and Woody to Denver, then Woody will fly to Edmonton, arriving Friday at 8:38 pm.

Woody shot a white Blessbuck yesterday, he said the Common and the White Blessbuck he got would be in the record book, and he is a happy hunter! He said Hunter Hills Safari far exceeded his expectations in everyway and of course would love to return. Well thatís all the news for now; looking forward to seeing all the stories and pictures posted here from the Great White Hunters!

Wishes and prayers for a safe trip home for the gang in Africa!
Posted Image
Rolling Castle Blog

#56 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:32 PM

So glad for him. I don't begrudge himthe long flight home though. My wife and I flew from PA to Hawaii and back whew a looong trip.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#57 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

That's sweet Patsy. Thanx for all of the updates and I'm glad Woody got to experience such a great trip!!

#58 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

So glad for him. I don't begrudge himthe long flight home though. My wife and I flew from PA to Hawaii and back whew a looong trip.

Paul you're absolutely correcto mundo - those long flights are killers. For real!

They should be home about now and hopefully they can share their grand adventure soon.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#59 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Well the gang made it back to Dulles three hours late but safely. Woody, Huck and Daryl (Huck's friend ?) missed their connecting flight to Denver, so are waiting on standby for a flight, not sure about the rest of the gang. They were hopeful of catching the 1:00 pm flight so Woody would not miss his connection to Edmonton. Woody said he would call me from Denver when he knew for sure which flight he would be taking to Edmonton. I have not heard from him as yet. Two good things though, the airline gave them money for breakfast and lunch and they have each other for company at least until Denver. Praying they all make it home safely.
Posted Image
Rolling Castle Blog

#60 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

Glad everyone is safe and sound

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg