• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

I need to shop for a case cleaner, just curious if you guys have a preference...RCBS...LEE...FRANKFORD...DILLON...or ??? I'll probably eBay one used if I settle on a brand. A lot of my work in progress has set on the bench long enough to get discolored. I've reloaded ammo since 1971 but never owned a case cleaner. Opines appreciated...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

Charlie I have a Berrys case vibrator. It does a good job for me. I also bought a bottle of Berrys case brightner which you put a little in the medium along with your empty brass. I have both the corncob and walnut media. I use the walnut media almost exclusively as it seems to work faster. What I do is inspect my cases, deprime them and drop them into the bowl and turn it on. Depending on the size of the case you could put a bunch of them in there. I have had about 100 total (75) 222 and (25) 7mag in there at the same time. Depending on how tarnished your cases are it will take a couple of hours to even overnight on bad tarnished ones. When I take my cases out I have a small screwdriver to run in the cases to be sure all the medium is out. I also closely inspect each case as I remove it as the tarnish on the neck is cleaned off. I also inspect the primer pocket to be sure it is clean and clear of medium. If not I clean the primer pocket of crud as the tumbler doesn't seem to work in that little depression. I still use the sticky case lube and once I resize the cases I just throw them back into the tumbler for 15 min to half hour and they are all cleaned off. As I take them out I again inspect each case as I have worked the neck at least in resizing. I like how mine works. I do not have the separater pan but it would make it easier to get all the cases out without letting one in there.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

I would go with the Frankford Arsonal I have a Lyman and have used it a lot but its to small. Get one bigger than you think you need and get a searator. I use corncob media that I treat every once in a while. Some brass takes hours to get shiny. Though I have had no problem with this Lyman I have had trouble with something else and they shipped the wrong part and wanted me to pay to ship it back and then repay to get correct part shipped after the conservation with the lady on the phone that thinks she should be seated next to the man upstairs and no responces from two e-mails and a phone call I have sworn off of Lyman.

Edited by Joe, 12 June 2008 - 07:55 AM.

MR300WM

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:02 AM

Cool, thanks for the input guys.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 ryalred

ryalred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

I purchased an old two drum Thumlers tumbler off Ebay about a year ago for a really good price. It's not as fast as a vibratory polisher, but it does a good job and seems to be holding up well.

I, like you had been reloading but didn't have a polisher. I don't know if the ammo shoots any better, but it looks a lot nicer.

Good luck.
Addicted to reloading

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

The main reason I polish my cases is to protect the dies. I just feel better resizing a cleaned case than a dirty one.

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:59 AM

I bought a Lyman Turbo Tumbler and it worked great.....then the Lee press Seth was using broke as he was just starting to resize cases. :curse:
Posted Image

#8 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Charlie I to am in the market for a case tumbler.
Go to Midway, Cabelas or any distributor and read the reviews to get an idea of which one is best for you. I have been kind of leaning towards a Lyman or Hornaday although a friend has a Frankford and really likes it.

Midway

Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#9 doubleA

doubleA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Shooting, Handloading, Hunting then repeat

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

My Thumlers Tumbler Model B has been doing a great job for over 25 years but I have changed the media a few times. :cool:
+Life is good, give God the glory +

#10 GP@AZ

GP@AZ

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

Watch shipping charges on Midway They can get very pricey.

#11 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is that I add one cap of mineral spirits every time I clean brass, even if it doesn't clean any better it keeps the dust down.. My corncob media is over ten years old. I frequently forget that i have brass cleaning and it runs all night.

MR300WM
MR300WM

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

I too have left mine run all night. Next morning they looked like brand new cases. I always a capfull of Berrys case brightner to my medium this is a non amonia product. Do not use brasso to clean your cases as it has amonia and that affects the brass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users