7 replies to this topic

#1 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

Finally caught a Carp on the rod and reel! There were a few much larger, I'll be after them next. Then I might try the fly rod... Lots of FUN!
Posted Image

Edited by Monk, 12 June 2008 - 06:49 PM.

"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

what were you using for bait? when I go for them (usually early spring to smoke em outa cold water) I take a can of corn and throw a small handfull out to chum then put some on a hook or a night crawler on the bottom no bobber
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

Yep the corn chum is what most guys here use too. I did catch one on a nightcrawler once and man I thought I had a whale on the other end. Those suckers ah er carp can really put up a fight. At the lake where I fish there are usually some orientals there fishing and will take all the carp you can catch.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:25 AM

I use a nightcrawler. No chum, sight fishing. I spotted this guy working in a area just upstream from where I was. I moved and cast in the middle of that spot, within two minutes he nailed it. He put my drag to the test with some several short runs, it put a smile on my face! I'll be trying chum in that area and wading some along the river looking for more working fish.

Edited by Monk, 13 June 2008 - 04:26 AM.

"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:35 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: Alright Monk! You asked last summer about how to carp fish. Cool beans. They are fun on rod and reel. It's been my experience they are spooky fish so watch the wading thing. Your smile tells how much fun it had to be reeling this little porker in. Congrats.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

I was raised by my grandmother. She was very much like Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies, pure Southern stock, and a better cook you never met. She'd cook Carp and you'd swear you were eating Salmon. We rarely gave one away, they just tasted too good! :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 June 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

You know the old saying Norm, your to cook the fish on a board and when it's done you throw the fish away and eat the board. :doh: :lol:

Now thats what PA taught me as a young lad. LOL
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

I always used dough balls for them. Just take stale bread with you, get it wet, and form it around the hook to golfball size, packed as tight as you can squeeze it. Toss it in and hang on! Nice fish Monk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users