13 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

I'm thinking of getting a new synthetic stock for my Encore .270. It now has the walnut stock. I love the look of wood but seeing as how I hunt in all kinds of rough terain and in all kinds of weather, plus I carry the Encore on our 4 wheeler a lot, a synthetic stock might be a good idea. That way I can put the walnut one up and keep it in good condition as well and not worry about it getting scarred up bad. I'm trying to decide on the camo or just plain black synthetic. I'm leaning towards the black thumbhole type though because I can buy that set, stock and forearm, for the price of just the standard camo stock alone. My question is this, the forearm is easy to change, but how hard is it to change the stock? Anyone with an Encore ever change one? Also any advice on thumhole stocks versus a solid one? I like the looks and feel of the thumbhole and think it would also look sharp on my Encore. I value you alls advice.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

Norm. I too have considered a thumbhole stock for a rifle. Have you ever been in a position to need to shoot from the opposite shoulder. I have although not a great number of times. I normally shoot lefty and about a half dozen times in my life it was shoot from the right shoulder or not get a shot. With a thumbhole stock getting a shot from the opposite side is difficult at best and dern near impossible at worst. I have a black synthetic stock on several of my rifles and never felt that the black stock alerted an animal to include a turkey. I just recently changed the buttstock on my turkey shotgun from a standard stock to a pistol grip stock like on an m-16. This has made for much better comfort when holding the gun to the shoulder for an extended period. I personally have never considered a thumbhole stock partly because of what I already explained and since I shoot lefty and all my rifles are righty it is just about impossible to find a lefty thumbhole that fits a right handed rifle.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

Paul, I shoot strictly right handed. I have made awkward shots though. Biggest deer I ever shot I actually shot while laying down on my back, shoulders and head against a tree, on a steep hillside. I fell alseep and woke up to see a huge 10pt standing below and staring up at me at about 40 yards. The end of the barrel was already between my crossed feet so I just sighted down the carbine with the but not even touching my shoulder. Pulled the trigger and he fell like he'd been hit with a sledge hammer. Took me 10 minutes to convince myself I wasn't dreaming. :lol:

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

My first flintlock was a right handed one which I flinchlingly shot lefty. Man as soon as the left hand models came out I had one. I do recall though once setting up on a huge trail that came out to a field. I was sitting there with my left handed flintlock when two deer came down across the field running. I had no time to switch and shot one right handed. Sure glad I had practiced for a couple of years with a right handed flinter. I have learned to shoot either handed and it has payed off as I said about a half dozen times since 1955. When I qualified with the M-16 I shot it lefty too. For several years we had to shoot from the off shoulder for a couple of clips. Man was it fun to watch those right handed folks try to shoot lefty. I had no trouble at all but had a bunch of fun watching guys and gals fumble around. Although I am not absolutely positive I believe if you remove the butt plate you should see the end of a screw head or a bolt head. In my shotgun the original stock was held on with a screw driver head and the replacement was a bolt head. You will need a long screwdriver or a ratchet with several extensions.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

Thanks bud. I can shoot pretty well instictively. Just point and shoot, and I can shoot a handgun left handed fairly well, but a rifle's another story and I'm right hand and eye dominant. You're braver than me shooting a right handed flintlock left handed. It's a wonder you still have eyebrows. :lol:

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

Norm you need to hang around PA and I more, we would teach you so much. :boone: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

I'd love to Eric, if I could just get you guys to come to Missouri more often. :D Unfortunately my traveling days are pretty limited. Between me and Jason and you and Paul, man we'd sure have a time. :yes:

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

Boy Spirit you said a mouthfull there. That right there would be an awesome foursome.

#9 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

I haven't changed the stock on my Pro Hunter yet.

If cost is an issue, then I would go with black. Are you considering the Pro Hunter "Flex Tech" stock, or just the standard Encore stocks?

I would highly suggest going with the Flex Tech stocks. It's like comparing apples to oranges, but my Pro Hunter with the Flex Tech stock kicks a lot less than my brother's CVA Optima shooting the same load. And I do mean a lot. I haven't shot a gun with a thumbhole stock, so I can't comment on that.

Camo or black is personal preference. Whether you go with a standard or thumbhole stock, I highly recommend the Flex Tech stock. A Flex Tech fore end isn't necessary, but the stock does reduce recoil like they say on TV.

#10 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

I was looking at an Encore with the thumbhole stock at Gander Mountain today. The hammer is a little more difficult to "get in the firing position" because the open space between your thumb and hammer on the regular stock is now blocked by the top portion of the stock.

I'm sure it would just take some getting used to, but I didn't care for the thumbhole stock. To me it just seemed like the hammer wasn't as easy to access.

Edited by Chrud, 29 June 2008 - 07:27 PM.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

As I said before I believe that the encore stock is held on with a through stock bolt. You have to take the butt plate/pad off and will see either a screw head or a bolt head most likely way up at the forward end of the butt section. Should be a piece of cake to change. Eric and I just changed the rear stocks on our Win 1300 shotguns and that is what we found. It is a possibility that the bolt will be accessed at the bottom of the pistol grip by removing the cap If your stock does not have a cap there then it is in the buttstock. I checked online and just typed "Thompson Center Encore Thumbhole Stocks" and got 40,500 hits. I looked at a couple and Cabelas has them Backyard Gardner has them Cheaper than dirt has them EAB has them Boyds gunstocks has some just for starters.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

I kinda have an idea of how to change one but just not sure. Just occurred to me to look in the book that came with the rifle. Should have an exsploded view of it. Still not sure what stock I want. Think I'll look locally first. I'd like to actually see how they feel before buying one. Thanks for the sites Paul. I'll definately check them out. :D Not too worried about recoil. I've always found that only bothers me when target shooting. When shooting at game I never feel a gun go off. :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 June 2008 - 09:39 AM.

#13 Aleric Odin

Aleric Odin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

The encore screw is under the pistol grip plate not through the stock. I have a thumbhole flex tex right hand stock my gun came with the regular stock. I bought the thumbhole flex tex at Midsouth shooters. I also sold my standard encore stock on line. The change over is simple and easy you could use both stocks for different huntins situations. Not a problem

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

I now have the standard Encore synthetic stock and forearm in Realtree Hardwoods camo. Jason got them for me in a trade. They were very easy to change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users