23 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Never in my dreams did I think I would be hunting in Africa, but I did and what an incredible experience it was. Hunters Hill Safari, the country, and the people were just absolutely amazing. The lodge is not five star it is at least a seven star in my books. The amount and variety of animals we saw were just fantastic. Okay, Okay, I know you want the stories and the pictures. Okay story first.

I harvested a Blue Wildebeest with bow, a Duiker with bow, a Blessbuck with bow and then I busted my string, yeah dumb ole me I did not have an extra string. I took a White Blessbuck, a Gemsbok, a Springbok, and warthog with rifle. I was pleased with my efforts to say the least.

Our PH was very good and knowledgeable but the head PH, Bruce, put me in the toughest situation I have ever faced. We were looking for Bushbuck and Duikers in a heavily vegetated ravine, he was walking in front of me when he signalled me to stop, and told me to knock an arrow, then signalled me to step beside him and pointed to a Duiker behind a bush, I could barely make it out, he pointed out that it was a female but any Duiker with a bow is a trophy. I told him I don't have a shot through the bush, all he could say was "take the shot, take the shot", so I did and made it through the bush and hit the vitals of the Duiker, the toughest and best bow shot I have ever made in my life, even the PH couldn't believe it, it was that perfect. Therefore, the story is the smallest animal I took is my biggest trophy.

Posted Image
Springbok, a small, elusive, and very alert, hard to come by with a bow, took it with the rifle at about 180 yards, what a beautiful animal. Here it is,
Posted Image

Common Blessbuck, roam the African plains, did a lot of footwork to get this one, literally miles, plus crawling on my belly through 2 foot high grasses and prickly things, thorns sticking in fingers and legs (still pulling them out) :D , but I did manage to get an arrow in it. I hit him hard, he jumped up, and slammed down, and that was it for him. Our PH told me it was a Boone and Crocket, sure made me smile, here he is.
Posted Image

White Blessbuck, also an African plains animal, very, very tough to get close to, chased him over hill and dale, that steep terrain over there just plain wore me out eh! When we finally found him, the PH pointed him out to me, said, "it's the second from the right", I said "man that is a long shot", he very calming replied "Woody you can do it" and I did, 250 yard neck shot, poof, down he went, what a trophy. He told me that it is also a Boone and Crocket. Here he is,
Posted Image
Gemsbok, now I know that animals here are tough, but I was also told that animals in Africa are much tougher and hard to bring down. Now this guy we literally chased for miles, for more than one day. Finding him with the tracker vehicle, then tracked him down on foot. I shot him at 250 yards plus, right through the heart and lungs and the bugger would not go down, had to wait for him to expire, which took quite awhile to my amazement. The exit wound actually exposed his heart. What a trophy he is, his horns measured 39 inches and 36 1/2 inches (one was broke off). What a beautiful animal none the less.
Posted Image

Warthog, ugly is as ugly does as Forest Gump would say, yep they are ugly, very elusive and then again, we are hunting them in a terrain where a bow was not an option. Out came the 30 06, 180 grain bullets, took two shots to put this guy down, but down he went. Well if had not been for the trackers and our PH; I would have never found this critter. I was not scared hunting them, until I put him down and took a close look at those huge tusks, I said "Oh dang, I am glad he ain't moving, those things can do some real damage!" Ugly maybe but what a trophy!
Posted Image

In closing all I can say is hunting in Africa was an experience of a lifetime, the new friendships I have made are priceless, I would and will do it again except next time I will take Patsy.

I would like to thank all my hunting partners who are wonderful people for their camaraderie and making my time spent at Hunters Hill so special. A special thanks to Mike my hunting partner who was fun to hunt with as well as hang out with. Thank you all!

Opps in my excitment to post I missed this guy,

All the animals we hunted were spot and stalk, the trackers/spotters (ours was named Henry) and man was he good. My hunting partner Mike from Nebraska was just as impressed as I was. Mike and I were both going after Blue Wildebeest, I took mine with the bow, a 60-yard shot, and it was good! Trying to get though the prickly woods (Acacia trees) is not for the timid, the thorn spikes can be up to 4 inches long and sneaking up on these animals is not a 15 minute deal, can take up to an hour or longer. It was worth it! Here is my Blue Wildebeest,

Posted Image

Edited by Woody, 24 June 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

Congrats Woody. Fantastic pics. Glad you had such an awesome time buddy. :thumbsup:

Edited by Spirithawk, 24 June 2008 - 05:22 PM.

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

awesome story and Pics Woody were glad you had a time of your life you deserve it
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#4 woodys_daughter01

woodys_daughter01

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

Wow, Dad:

Nice work!!!!! :clap: I am glad that you had nice clean kills, and also got to prove to yourself that you can shoot straight and true with both bow and rifle...!!!

Now for my silly question: :doh: What does it mean when they say an animal is a Boone & Crocket?

Love Deb :D
Dream, Strive, Drive

Sometimes I wonder, why is that Frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

Now Woody if my sister can shoot a gemsbok anybody can. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Very nice very,very,very nice. :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

Congratulations to you Woody. So glad you had a great time. Thank you very much for the pics.

WD01 A Boone and Crockett animal is a real trophy. Boone and Crockett is an organization that measures game animals and if that animal measures a certain total minimum your name gets into the record books. Pope and Young is an organization that measures and keeps records for bow hunters the same as Boone and Crockett does for rifle trophies. Safari Club International is another such organization with somewhat different measuring standards.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

Very Cool :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 hunter1963

hunter1963

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

Congrats woody, Kyle and i were checking out the pics looks like you had a great time.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

Awesome Hunt Woody!!! Congrats to everyone involved.
Posted Image

#10 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

Wow, pretty amazing stuff you got to do Woody. Looks like a great time. And with a r.i.f.l.e too ( dang you look good with a rifle). Welcome back old friend. We missed yas.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#11 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

Congrats Woody! You got some real trophies there!
-Eric

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Great job Woody and now you have had a taste of Africa. It really is a very special hunting experience.
Posted Image

#13 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:13 PM

Woody; Man, I am proud of you and your trophies. Great clean kills, all animals recovered, the best trackers,spotters and PH , and a 60 yd bow kill on the blue wildebeast. A truly amazing hunt for you, I am so glad you joined Huck, to experience this in your life time. Amazing memories! Thanks for sharing this event, almost felt like I was there. HH in Pa :)

#14 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Good stuff there Woody...Congrats again.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#15 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

Woody congrats on a successful hunt. Thanks for posting the pictures and photo's. Sure does make one think about going to Africa and hunt.

turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users